Thoughts on Threshold Forte Model 3 Nelson Pass

Hi. I have an opportunity to buy a Forte Model 3, allegedly in great shape, for $350.00 including shipping. Any thoughts on this SS amp?? I'm currently using an Adcom GFA-555, which sports the same 200 wpc (I have to drive needy 4 ohm KEF Reference speakers), but I'm wondering if the Nelson Pass "pedigree" isn't worth switching for. I'm thinking I can sell the Adcom for the $350, so.... Thoughts, experts?? -David
klipschking
Go for it, but, not because it comes from "the Nelson Pass "pedigree"", because it doesn't.
David, As the VP of Threshold from 1987 to 1991, I was also in charge of Sales/Marketing/Cheerleading/Dealer Support, and diaper-changing for Forte'. The Forte Model 3 will have much better control of your Kefs -- especially in the bass region -- will sound less "transistory", more holographic, and more transparent.

ENJOY!
ATB,
Joe
I've heard a few Adcoms on occasion, and used to have a Forte 1a.. I'd say the Forte 3 should be a step up in quality from an adcom.. should be a little more revealing, transparent and smoother. At least my 1a was...
I had an Adcom 555 and got the Forte 3.....much better sounding amp all around, IMO. Drives my 3 ohm Divas nicely. Now I have 4 Forte 3s to drive all my surround speakers.

Mike
I just bought a used Forte 3A for $450 to have as a backup amp. I was very pleasantly surprised at what a great little amp this is. Great midrange, powerful and non-fatiguing. My previous listening experience with Adcom gear was less favorable... a bit grainy, etched highs and more apt to wear down listeners during longer listening sessions. The Forte 3A is an exceptional / can't miss steal of an amp for those wanting a wonderful sounding vintage powerhouse for less than $500. Go for it!