Agree or disagree with the following statement.

Trying to get some input on an issue that a few of us are debating.

Statement:

If you have never listened to any particular component, you can't have an opinion on how it sounds.

Answer:

I don't agree with that. Measurements provide a fairly good indication of how something will sound. That's the beauty of science -- it's not necessary to have first hand experience to make reasonable judgments. You likely disagree and that could be a difference in our background and education."

So, the issue at hand is, can tell how a component sounds without listening to it, and just go on specs? Or, do you have to listen to it, as well, because the specs don't tell the whole story?
zd542
I've not read the whole thread, so I may be off topic now or repeat what has already been written, sorry in case.

I think specs can give us an idea on 'how it sounds' but just an idea, a hint. That's due to several reasons, going from the reliability and completeness of the specs to one's capability of fully understand the specs themselves, and passing through a nebulosa of factors I don't now but which may give a 'model' its peculiar voice(employed materials, constructive solutions, proprietary patents not unveiled yet... a factor I could call undeclared specs) .

A skilled technician or a competent hifi enthusiast may guess much of the sound of a system by just reading the specs of all the components; I can't believe, though, that he could EXACTLY and COMPLETELY imagine (like hearing in his mind) the sound in all it's shades, subtelties, the exact amount of crispiness, of slam, dynamics, harshness...
and nuances and subtle differences are often what this is all about.
True, you can't tell how equipment sounds based only on measurements. But that's more a factor of us not having adequate measurements that are truly fit for purpose.

And we should always listen to equipment when spending our money, because in the end, all that matters is that our own ears are pleased.

But I want professional reviews to include measurements, and I want the professional reviewer to understand measurements and what they mean. Sorry but I don't trust other people's purely subjective opinions. There is just too much room for unchecked ramblings (Sam Tellig? althought I always enjoyed reading his well-written ramblings) and outright unethical behavior (see Corey Greenberg).

Without measurements, it just opens the door wide open for people telling me that CDs sound better when they coat the edges with green paint.
"Without measurements, it just opens the door wide open for people telling me that CDs sound better when they coat the edges with green paint.
Abrew19 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

You have to buy the real stuff. Never paint the edge of your CD's; green, or any other color. You need the expensive, secret formula, audiophile magic marker. Not just a regular marker, but a magic one.
02-20-15: Macrojack
Would you marry a woman based solely on her specs?
Well YES. It's easier to put up with someone that has GOOD specs. LOL!!!