What is your favorite tube for a preamplifier ?

Personally I like what the classic 6SN7 vacuum tube does
for opening up the soundstage and the 3 dimentional images it produces,along with the 5AR4 rectifier tube.
Please add your opinions and why.
2channelsaudio
Also agree with the 6SN7.

For me, so many 6922, 6H30, and 5687 based designs sound bright, glassy, and etched in the manner that many audiophiles often mistake for resolution or neutrality. I find many of them artificial and difficult to listen to for any length of time.
My Rogue Athena uses a quad of the 6h30 super tube and for good reason they are the most linear small tube made .
My preamp is very accurate and musical their smart parts
decision had a lot to do with that.
Hi Gang. In reference to Casouza's post stating the 6sn7 as a direct decendent of the 6sn7.

Although electrically equivalent and both employ the same octal base, the 6j5 is a single triode whereby the 6sn7 is a dual triode [basically two 6j5's in one tube] and are not direct substitutions.

While there are so many different flavours to experience in the 6sn7 family of dual triodes, and as mentioned by Ait in an earlier post.
In my experience, the 7193 is sonically superior to any 6sn7 regardless of manufacture... nos or otherwise.

Comparatively speaking: the 7193's sonic signature is a combination of the best of the 6sn7 family.

Combine the bass power and depth of the Kenrad black, the 3 dimentional midrange of the old tungsol round plate,the bloom of the Rca grey glass with the treble extention of the best nos sylvania's.

Although a little more difficult to find these days, they generally sell for a fraction of the cost of the nos 6sn7's.

Orpheus. Why is the RCA 12au7 your favorite? My Rogue Cronus takes a 12au7 and I'm currently using the Sylvania that came with the amp.