Aesthetix Calypso VS ARC Reference 3

Half price off course ($5000 VS $10000) , but suppose cost is not an issue: what you think are the sonic differences between the two pre-amps ?
duonri
I used to be a non-believer in power cords as well...No more!
While I do not believe in spending big bucks on power cords, I will say this:
I have never heard two power cords that sound alike.
They may just be "a few feet of wire between your component and the outlet", but all have their own unique sonic signature for whatever reasons that I cannot explain.
I can also pick out upgrade power cords over my stock one blind, and quite easily.
And, on top of that, my girlfriend can tell the difference if I change out power cords while she is away, and I fire up my system, and she is not an audiophile or critical listener in the least.
She will ask, "what component did you change out this time?"
I will ask her what she means, and she will reply:
"You bought some new component, I can tell, cause your system sounds different."
She only says this if I have actually made a component or wiring change to my system.
It blows her mind when I tell her the only difference is a different power cord! LOL!
Thanks for the detailed answers.
I own the Aesthetix Calypso and use it in my reference system for the last 2 years or so. I have decided to go for a new ARC Reference 3. I just got it and now I own both pre-amps.
After the Reference 3 will break-in I will try to give you my opinion about sonic differences between the two pre-amps .
Thanks !
Duonri,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Re: the Power Cords & physics

I had a highly esteemed material science professor who was a big advocate of the use of interconnects & power cords. His specialty was electronics and cable use in aviation. The physics must be there, but at a level we might not understand.
Duonri, That is great. I would definately be looking for your review and feedback. As I have previously mentioned, it is probably only the Ref. 3 that I would prefer over my Calypso, though I did consider several at the time of purchase. I just couldn't afford the Ref. 3. I look forward to your comments and hope/request that when you write the review you may be so kind as to indicate when and where the Ref. 3 is, that you can try to reference by "how much". My guess is that in a couple of years when the Ref. 3 price comes down and I am ready for a move that I may be able to get one then. The AR stuff lasts for years. My last AR preamp I had for about 12 years. Funny thing is in the past 18 months I haven't owned a single piece of equipment for that long. Of course I no longer live in Guam in the South Pacific!
Sonic differences between ARC Reference 3 and Aesthetix Calypso.

System components:
EMM lab CDSA SE CD/SACD PlayerCDSA SE CD/SACD Player
VPI Super Scout Master signature
ClearAudio Concerto
ARC Reference 3 (replacing Aesthetix Calypso)
Antique Sound Lab Hurricane
Wilson WATT/PUPPY 6.0
Nordost reference speaker cable and interconnects.

I like both preamps. The sound is very good regarding most aspects with both. Both are very easy to handle - Good functional remote.
The REF 3 is excellent in every way. Overall the REF 3 is better than the Calypso.
In general the Calypso is a great preamp. Considering its price tag the Calypso is almost unbeatable.
The Calypso has many good sides which are written in many reviews, so I will not duplicate.
I will just compare the Calypso with the REF 3 and will emphasize the differences:

NOISE – the Calypso is not a quite preamp. Out of the box with its original tubes it does not have
an acceptable quite background. I replaced the original tubes with the same tubes, brand new ones but with no success – very noisy.
NOS tubes (I tried few NOS tubes – the Telefunken are OK for the job )
decreased the noise significantly, but even than the REF 3 is much better: The REF 3 is not only quieter but it is a QUITE preamp.

Sound and Resolution details – Compare with the Calypso the REF 3 has better resolution and details in the upper range.
Also the upper range is smoother and easier for the listener. The mids are good with both preamps. The REF 3 mid and lower bas are more tight.
The Calypso overall sound has more attack and is more punchy. The REF 3 is more laid-back.

User interface – Both preamps have good functional remote control. The REF 3 remote control has more functions: Tube hours, Phase, SE/BAL and more.
The screen panel of the REF 3 is also more detailed.

Heat - The REF 3 is a quite hot for a preamp, much more than the Calypso. On a standard rack it will possibly need a ( special purpose quite ) ventilation.

If you want the best – take the REF 3.
Take the REF 3 even if value for money is what you are looking for.
If you want a great preamp for $5000 than the Calypso is a great contender !