Aesthetix Calypso VS ARC Reference 3

Half price off course ($5000 VS $10000) , but suppose cost is not an issue: what you think are the sonic differences between the two pre-amps ?
duonri
I own a Calypso with well upgraded tubes. I love this preamp, in my system it is a very good addition. However, if my budget were not a factor, I would have gone with the Ref 3.

In my experience the Ref. 3 is more resolving and detailed over the Calypso (but the Calypso is plenty detailed/resolving for me, I run Krell amps and Wilson speakers so I like resolving and the Calypso adds just the right amount of tubed warmth without compromising the resolution I like).

There are not very many preamps I would prefer over the Calypso, but the Ref 3 would be the first that comes to my mind. I think both are excellent preamps and I do not feel the Ref 3 is anywhere close to twice the price better than the Calypso.

I think the Calypso delivers better flexibility as it responds better to tube rolling (a requirement for the Calypso anyway). I must admit that I don't really have much experience with tube rolling the Ref 3, just what I have read.

Again, the key to the Calypso is the tubes, you should add $1,000 to the price to put in the best tubes for this unit - factor that aspect into the purchase price.
Ckoffend what tubes are you using in your Calypso,I also have a Calypso and your right on about tube sensitive. I use Mullard CV 4004 box plates and Amperex US White Lable PQ with great results in my system. Duonri sorry just had to ask !
I have heard both, and I own the ARC Ref 3. The Calypso is a very good preamp, and a great bargain for the price. IMHO the ARC Ref 3 betters it in a couple of ways. The biggest is in quietness. The Ref 3 is one of the quietest preamps I've ever heard, tube or SS. The Ref 3 also has a bit more refinement or air in the high's and slightly better definition in the bass. The midrange is about equal with some good tubes in the Calypso, which is more prone to tube rolling.

Is the Ref 3 twice as good? No. The law of diminishing returns is in effect. Only you can determine if the price difference is worth it to you.

Cheers,
John
I have owned the Calypso, but could not warm up to it. That combined with noise issues had me send it back. I get to hear the Ref.3 very often and ever since my friend added it to his system, I have really liked it. I would not put them in the same league at all.