Pre for VAC Auricle Musicbloc 70/70

On a bit of an impulse I have purchased a used pair of VAC Musicbloc 70/70's and - since I am currenty running an integrated - I need advice on a pre-amp to mate with these amps. My budget is around $2500 new or used. My only must-haves are a remote volume control and a second pre-out to run a sub. Instincts tell me I would prefer a tubed pre. As an FYI, this particular pair of VAC's has the option of both SE and balanced inputs.

Presently, I am seriously considering the Dodd battery powered preamp, but I can't find any specs on the unit, i.e. output impedence, etc. (also I know it does not have a balanced output option). I am also considerng the Audio Horizon 2.1, the Modwright SE/Signature or - perhaps the obvious choice - a used VAC Standard that is currently for sale here on the 'Gon.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cruz123
It sounds like you are are on the right track with the pre's you are thinking about. I am confused though, as to
if you bought the Ren 70/70 (65wpc) or the newer Musicbloc
160's. I just bought the Phi 300.1, and all I can say is,
" It's good to be home". If I were in your shoes, I would
try and audition a pre first. Maybe the Modright or AH. I
would maybe add the Lamm LL2, although the high gain may
not be the best match. I have also heard Cat mate well,
that was with the Ren amps though. First Sound may be worth
considering, also have a friend who has had success with a
previous Rowland model, not too sure if this one would be
in your range though. Even though I have less than 25 hrs
on my amps, I concur with Sherod on the Neutrality without
losing the tube musicality. Enjoy the ride !
Thanks to all.

Sherod, I don't have the amps yet, but once I have them I may take you up on your offer to pick your brain from time to time. Thanks for the recommendations on the cables, tubes, and the promethean. For the short term, I will have to make do with the cables I have - mostly Acoustic Zen. I'm using a KT88 integrated now and have several quads of current production tubes on hand for comparison sake.

Jmcgrogan2 - Thanks for the advice. I plan to use the volume control in Opus 21 to fill the preamp role initially, but will seek out a preamp for comparison sake before making a final determination on the amps.

Fjn04 - I picked up these amps used, so they are not current production. Your Phi 300.1 is a grade or two above the Auricle Musicblocs. I'm sure you will enjoy that beautiful amp!

I'm just short of analysis paralysis, but I believe I have decided to try the Dodd preamp. The reviews have been good and it fills all of my needs with the exception of a balanced output. I have been intrigued by battery power for a while and would like to satisfy my curiosity of the benefits of going "off the grid". Dodd is currently discounting them, so it seems like a good time to jump. I'll report back with my findings.
I ordered the Dodd. My curiosity got the better of me. I'll report back in a few weeks after everything is settled in.