Monoblocks to consider?

Hi,

Current system:

* Audio Aero Capitol;
* Joule Electra LA150 MkII;
* Dave Berning ZH-270,
* Merlin VSM-Mxe

I'm sort of considering monoblocks to replace the Berning - I know there are a few members here (especially SBanks) who have moved to Atma Shere monoblocks.

I'd like to canvas views on what amps I should be listening to. I'd like the amps to have just a touch more bottom end slam, if this is possible with my pre and speaker combo.

Thanks,

MontyW
montywoo
Hi guys,

Heat from the amps is not a problem... however, reliability and the need to 'just use' an amp is essential - that is one reason why I didn't consider the Joule mono's.

It would seem most of you believe the Berning has damn good bass and the latest spec Merlins should cause a problem, so it leads me to think it might be my room.

I really do like the idea of the Atmashere amps, but there is point in investing if my room is the problem.

Cheers,

Monty
Mentioned earlier was the Pass XA30.5; I had it for a while and it is indeed a very good match with the Merlins - it is one SS amp that certainly works well with them and the bass performance is superb (I'm use to the bass performance of the CAT JL2). Like Tvad, said, don't let the 30 watts fool you; it must be a very conservative rating and as far as reliability and ease of use goes, well I doubt it gets better.
Monty

If you have the choice, the first thing you should do is look at the room. It may be fine, but odds are that it is not. Having said that, is it a dedicated room and what is its construction and dimensions. Buying gear is always sexier than fixing rooms, but the only way to know how any of it really sounds is to fix the room first.

If you can't fix the room, the amp is an awesome one and if you like it, waiting for a used one would be reasonable. If you want simplicity without the worry of tubes, then you will be looking at solid state.

Good luck

Gary