The vicissitudes of listening to classical music

Hello,

I'm a novice. I recently purchased a decco int. amp and usb/dac and era d5's. I am using a Mac mini. I've been using this set-up for two weeks. The sound is starting to become more dynamic. This is on the desktop, nearfield listening to cd's, internet radio and rips.

My problem is that when I listen to symphonic music everything is garbled during heavy orchestration. Solo piano, guitar, string quartets sound good except strings in the high register can be grating. Also, I find myself listening to a softer passage at a nice volume and when the brass and strings and percussion kick in I must always turn down. Opera is a problem as well.

I wish the mids were warmer, too.

Since there are area contraints on the desktop I thought a hifi integrated amp might suit my needs. More power to even out the louder passages and tame the high end. The decco is 50wpc. I would like to pay maye $1500- for the amp. I would buy another usb/dac.

I think the speakers are fine. I don't want anything bigger on the desk, anyway.

I'm in a small room approx. 12'x14'. I purchased the d5's hoping the bass at lower listening levels would work. The room is somewhat open on one side. I usually listen at moderate volume levels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jj
128x128jackiejr
What are you listening to? Low bitrate MP3s? Streaming audio? If so, these are the culprits. You need more data.

Kal
I'm listening to flac files but mostly cd's and streaming audio at 128k on the average. Maybe just a power amp like the ps audio a-100 would help and use the decco as a preamp.

jj
Cayin tube integrated amps are pretty good and should be within your price range. I would start with a tube integrated and may be change the dac later on.
Also, is there a wall behind the speakers? If so, experiment with a piece of dense fabric(something like a throw or a blanket) hung on the wall behind the speakers. This may minimize the midrange fatigue. If it works, you will need to think about what you will use as a permanent solution.