Magnapan MMG and Scott 222

Will this work?
drdennis
Dear Ponnie,
Thanks for your response. I actually have the MMG's and I love them. My room is about the same size as yours, and on the bright side. I only listen at moderate levels to classical and jazz and occassionally to classic rock.I am currently driving the MMG's with a NAD 50 watt receiver with surprisingly good results. My intention is to pass the receiver on to my daughter as I upgrade.
I have purchased the Scott 222c but it has not arrived. It's been "moded" by Mapleshade so it does reportedly put out 25 watts.
I also have a mid price NAD CD player which I'll pass on to my daughter, a Furman Elite 20 power conditioner, A PSB sub (also going to my daughter) that will be upgraded to a REL T-2 sub. Audioquest Bedrock speaker cables , and Blue Racer interconects complete the system. I have also purchased a Scott 350 tube tuner that has not arrived.
Thanks for your help. When the amp arrives, I'll post the results.
Drdennis
Id be interested in hearing the results. I have found that the more power the better with MMGs- but do recognize that small amps can sound quite nice as well. I used a 70wpc KT88 integrated for a while.

I now use 300wpc on my MMGs- which was a major improvement over 200wpc from the same manufacturer. But at the same time I am looking to be able to produce box speaker like dyanmics- which can be done with this kind of power.

I am tempted to try a smaller amp again and re-weigh the trade offs. Maybe even a pair of the little trends T amps.

-Rob
I'm waiting for the 222c to arrive. I'll need new speaker wire,and interconnects so it may be awhile before I can post results. Stay tuned!
It works!
This is a Mapleshade modified amp, so it puts out a little more than stock,
The sound quality is very good with an overall warm quality, and very good detail.
The room is small, (12x12), and on the bright side, with hard wood floors. There's plenty of volumn but I typically listen at moderate levels.

Drdennis
Robr45,
I have had 2 different solid state amps in my room and neither actually played much louder than my ST 70. The differences primarily was in bass solidity. Since I posted my response I have purchased a Dali Suite 1.2 subwoofer which is sealed and it has blended in with the MG12's much better than I ever thought. I'm rolling my Maggies off on the bottom end with a pair of filters designed to do just that around 40hz to 50hz. I have my sub set right in between and as I said it blends nicely.
The Stratos 150 w amp was a little bright compared to my ST 70. The other was a 100 watt amp vintage 80's and it was a little more brighter than the ST 70. I upgraded my cable from Kimber 4PR to 8TC and the highs are sweeter the there is less of the highs. Cables can make a pair of Maggies more or less listenable depending on the amp. So I"m now looking for a pair of speaker cables that don't roll off as much on the top end. I will keep you informed. But the ST 70 is doing a great job in my room. I'm also thinking of getting a Muse 100 to use on the Maggies. I like the sound of the Muse but I don't know how they would sound on the Maggies.