Triode versus Ultralinear/Pentode

Does triode always sound better than ultralinear/pentode in circuits and parts of similar quality? I'm not really interested in SETs, but triode wiring of EL34/6550 etc. I have a CAT JL2 wired which has 6550s connected in triode and is the best amp I have ever heard in my system. I also have a Music Reference RM9 MKII with EL34s connected in ultralinear and am considering having them rewired for triode operation as I assume that is one of the reasons the CAT sound so good (those transformers may also have something to do with it). Thanks.
pubul57
I'm not so much worried about power, as the Music Reference RM9 SE would be 70 watts in triode - way more than enough for my Merlins, I'm thinking about whether converting an amplifier from ultralinear to triode makes much sense if the amp was not desinged for triode operation from the ground up; I just fell there must be some compromise in this apporach rather than being built and spece'd specifically for triode appplication, like my CAT JL2.
Post removed 
I'm 95% there Tvad. It's why I have doubts over the wisdom of what I am considering. I think your logic is impecable. It's not like Roger said, "great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that." - Although I'm sure he was also interested in bringing something to market with more power than triode would have provided. The whole triode idea is driven by the fact that my speakers (Merlins) like to be driven by amps with very low damping and NFB, and triode operation theoretically permits use of less NFB (or none?), etc. But I do hear the logic behind what you are saying, and I'm leaving well enough alone and going with the amp as designed by Roger.
Post removed 
Taking up atmasphere's point and changing the question. Is it always true that the compromises envolved in making an amp adjustable between Triode and Pentode, mean they will perform worse than an amp optimised for triode or pentode only?
To answer my question and having spoken to a few tube amp designers, it is my belief, that the compromises do, inevitably, have some effect on performance.