Triode versus Ultralinear/Pentode

Does triode always sound better than ultralinear/pentode in circuits and parts of similar quality? I'm not really interested in SETs, but triode wiring of EL34/6550 etc. I have a CAT JL2 wired which has 6550s connected in triode and is the best amp I have ever heard in my system. I also have a Music Reference RM9 MKII with EL34s connected in ultralinear and am considering having them rewired for triode operation as I assume that is one of the reasons the CAT sound so good (those transformers may also have something to do with it). Thanks.
pubul57
I've never listened to a pure triode designed amp so this is definitely a FWIW.

I have three amps were you can select triode/ultralinear on the fly. One, (a Cary) in triode sound much the same as two other's in ultralinear. In ultralinear it becomes slightly hard. All have low negative feed back.

With the speakers (3 different pairs)I have used with these three amps, best described as relatively neutral 3 way cone designs with a gentle impedence curve, unltralinear produces what I consider natural and 'linear'. When put into triode the mid-range power seems to deminish and the center sound stage recesses. A very relaxed sound but on a lot of music it sounds a bit thin.

I suspect triode might be a mode that would sound best used with more aggressive speakers (no shortage of those in the high end).

I do like to use triode for background music however. Apart from it being 'relaxed' at about half power the tubes and amp run cooler and I suspect last a lot longer.
Switching an amplifier from pentode to triode can be a bit tricky inside a single amplifier. The reason is that triodes tend to have a lower impedance than pentodes and so will want to operate at a different impedance on the output transformer.

That is tricky to set up and a lot of amplifier manufacturers 'fudge' that parameter a bit.

Its also interesting to observe the behavior of a pentode wired in triode as opposed to a real triode- it becomes obvious that real triodes have better performance. It is often difficult to demonstrate this fact because there are so many variables that get introduced, but- if you are thinking that triodes might have something to offer, you would be right. One of them is *not* power :)

You use triodes when the best sound possible is your goal. They offer lower distortion meaning little or no feedback is required, and lower output impedance which means less turns on the primary of the output transformer (that translates to: less distortion and more bandwidth and *that* translates to 'more detail, better highs and lows') or maybe no transformer at all.

The trick is like it always is- get the right speaker to take advantage of those advantages. There are high power triode amplifiers but they tend to be rare.
No. With my Mesa Baron, Triode is preferred for acoustic and smaller scale music, but adding some pentode helps a great deal with rock, orchestral, some jazz, piano and even solo guitar sometimes. and it solidifies imaging a bit. I suspect it's as we've always heard: it's all in the implementation. Unless you listen only to chamber music, there are times when pure triode is subobtimal.
Lloydc, your amplifier might be a good example of what I meant- that even though there is some advantage of the 'triode mode', that mode is not optimized in the amplifier in order to allow for the switching in the first place. Were it optimized, there would be no trade-offs in sonic performance, only power.
So I take it that if I were to convert the Music Reference to triode it should be triode only, optimized for triode, and not a triode/ultralinear via switch approach.