Is a DAC to Amp hook up better??

Just to satisfy a curiosity of mine last night, I decided to hook my Esoteric D70 DAC directly into my McIntosh 501 Monoblocks using a 3 meter pair of Stealth Metacarbon IC’s this was done since the 1 meter Stealth Indra I use going from the DAC to preamp are too short.

What I experienced was going directly into the monoblocks from the DAC, the sonics, resolution and transparency all improved at least 25%, I began trying to figure out how to reposition some equipment so I could listen with a direct feed using the Indra, however it just will not work.

The question I have is, has anyone experienced this type of ordeal or heard of anyone who prefers going from DAC to amps not using a preamp. Does the preamp introduce that much noise or is there something else I need to consider?

I am baffled at how much my system improved without the preamp. Previously I felt it sounded superb with a preamp, however I had not heard the system since the RAM mods were done to the Esoteric P70/D70 using a direct feed. Just when I thought I may be almost there, I find out there is so much more to do.

Give me your thoughts/opinions please. Thanks
mmitch7711
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It never has for me. Sounds to me like your preamp is not good enough for your system.

Arthur
One of the improvement with a good preamp is dynamic. Sometimes, the output of a DAC or cdp just do not adequately drive a amp input. I once had a Cary 303/200 hooked up directly to an amp and even cranking up the volume all the way, the sound just didn't have enough energy especially with classical music.
I could not live without an excellent preamp.
It is what turns sound into music for me.
Most of those who say you must have a preamp don't understand what a preamp actually does, how the output of a source interacts with the input of the amp, how the volume control enters into the picture. etc. It is a complicated situation but eliminating an uneeded gain stage will ALWAYS be an improvement provided careful attention is paid to matching everything else. However, if you need the extra gain or your preamp-power amp impedance isn't a good match or you try to use too long a cables or cables with high capacitance or for other reasons an active pre might make your system sound better. Evidently yours sounds better without.

You frequently hear people say their system is more dynamic with an active preamp. It isn't because the pre made the signal more dynamic, it was becuase their source wasn't able to properly drive their amp through the cables and passive they used. A passive system can be just as dynamic as an active if properly implemented.

I don't really understand what you are looking for with this thread. If your system sounds better without the preamp then be happy and enjoy. If you are ineterested search the forums for passive preamps and you'll get more than you ever wanted to know.