I've Fallen in Love With My Mistress

For sure I thought I was a loyal die-hard 2-channel guy. In my mind I was kind of smug, thinking that a 2-channel devotee was more serious about hi-fi than those home theater guys, and I could never be one of "them"....they just didn't seem to be purists like the 2-channel guys. But it seems I've been smitten by another pretty girl, a mistress....and her name is home theater. Maybe it's just an infatuation, but I'm loving it. Amazingly, I once viewed high end audio stores that started catering primarily to home theater enthusiasts as "sellouts". Now I understand. Over the past few years I've seen guys selling their equipment here saying that they're moving to home theater....and I thought that they must have been crazy.

I am spending much more time doing home theater now than 2-channel. The time I have to spend for home entertainment is not very much and HT is crowding out music listening. With Netflix providing so many movies, I can't seem to get enough. I have been trying to catch up on movies that I haven't seen over the years and I'm having a blast enjoying them. Watching movies doesn't leave a lot of time for 2-channel critical listening. I listen to my 2nd system during the day (mainly the tuner tuned to the local jazz station) while I work as background music (I work at home)and I barely listen to my main 2-channel rig at all any more. It has been months since I've plunked down in my listening chair and let the music take me away.

I have no plans to unload my 2-channel stuff, but I do feel kinda weird walking past my vinyl and cd's that has been my main source of home entertainment for decades. I feel like I'm cheating on someone that has been good to me.
128x128mitch4t
Be careful what you say. My thoughts mirrored yours when I initially fired up my 1080p projector with BluRay and sat back in awe.

What time revealed for me is the utter lack of quality films out there. Sure they sound great, look great, but leave you with a shrug at the ending.

As opposed to an emotionally engaging session listening to a stellar performance.

Don't get me wrong. The HT is not much short of awesome and awe inspiring... especially with dual JL Audio Fathom F113's as a foundation. However, to me it is more entertainment.

The soul of music will still engage me unlike any movie has yet...
Sounds like some of you are telling me my mistress is young and pretty, has a nice body and voice, but only intermitently intellectually stimulating. Whereas my older longtime love never failed me and actually did get better with age.

Well, I'm 54 years old, and in male humans....we have been known to stray around that age...often times with no real logic. But hey, the mistress is looking pretty good right now and I'll deal with reality later. Besides, the number of available suitors for my longtime love are dwindling....I think she'll take me back.

John, I'll petition the Approved Audiophile Assn to make an exception and allow me to keep my card on a probationary basis. I'll ask them to review my status in 6 months.
Post removed