I've Fallen in Love With My Mistress

For sure I thought I was a loyal die-hard 2-channel guy. In my mind I was kind of smug, thinking that a 2-channel devotee was more serious about hi-fi than those home theater guys, and I could never be one of "them"....they just didn't seem to be purists like the 2-channel guys. But it seems I've been smitten by another pretty girl, a mistress....and her name is home theater. Maybe it's just an infatuation, but I'm loving it. Amazingly, I once viewed high end audio stores that started catering primarily to home theater enthusiasts as "sellouts". Now I understand. Over the past few years I've seen guys selling their equipment here saying that they're moving to home theater....and I thought that they must have been crazy.

I am spending much more time doing home theater now than 2-channel. The time I have to spend for home entertainment is not very much and HT is crowding out music listening. With Netflix providing so many movies, I can't seem to get enough. I have been trying to catch up on movies that I haven't seen over the years and I'm having a blast enjoying them. Watching movies doesn't leave a lot of time for 2-channel critical listening. I listen to my 2nd system during the day (mainly the tuner tuned to the local jazz station) while I work as background music (I work at home)and I barely listen to my main 2-channel rig at all any more. It has been months since I've plunked down in my listening chair and let the music take me away.

I have no plans to unload my 2-channel stuff, but I do feel kinda weird walking past my vinyl and cd's that has been my main source of home entertainment for decades. I feel like I'm cheating on someone that has been good to me.
128x128mitch4t
No worries Mich4t, simply hand in your Approved Audiophile card at the door on your way out. ;~)

Cheers,

John
I think the affair began when I bought a Hi-Def dvd player.

That for sure was the forbidden fruit.
Careful, or you may find yourself voting for Hillary. You need a little mid life crisis to bring you back to reality. Any seeds stashed away in the little hand carved wooden box? Plant them...and after the harvest, see if you don't return to your true love.
Mitch, HT is indeed another great entertainment option. No reason to feel bad there. But, dont give up on your music. Blockbusters and 5.1, 7.1, etc come and go but 2 ch music is timeless...like an old reliable blanket that you an always go back to and curl up with...