Lamm, Cary and Parsifal Encore - what combo?

i'm wondering what it'll take knock out my cary slp-98 f1.

current rig:

verity audio parsifal encore
legend audio triode monos
cary slp 98 f1
vse level 5+ sony dvp 9000
purist audio cables

would a lamm ll2 deluxe beat out the cary? what about an emotive sira? if not one of these, how much higher do i need to go you think before i hear a substantial improvement? i had a vac renaissance for a while and that was the best pre i've heard hands down, but too much $$. i've also had the modwright, which i liked, but it was a bit on the cold side for me.

the cary is nice, but i have a feeling i'm sacrificing some transparency and hearing an ripe upper/mid bass ripeness that is nice, but i'd like something a little more open, dynamic, transparent that still doesn't sound sterile/cold.
128x128dennis_the_menace
I really liked my time with the SLP98 and although it is a bit warm, its transparency is quite good actually. My McIntosh C42 was a bit better in terms of dynamics so I sold the Cary. I think what you are hearing are the slightly restrained dynamics of the Cary. The Lamm will surely change that. You might also want to look into VTL. They aren't sterile and have good bandwidth.
thanks for the responses. hovlands have a phono, which i dont need, and tend to run over 3K, which is actually OK, but if i dont need to spend the cash, would rather not. i think my finalists are:

lamm ll2
calypso
herron vtsp 1a/166
Dennis - a Hovland HP-100 may not necessarily have phono board in it as mine did not and I very much enjoyed it and it sold for around $3K. Now I did audition the Lamm LL2 deluxe up against it and found them to be more different than one being better than the other and I think it would be more of a system match with your amp which I am not familiar with. I found the Hovland to be more neutral and the Lamm to be more relaxed with great timing but maybe a little less detail than the Hovland at least in my system and most importantly with my 46 year old ears.

I can say that the Hovland stayed the longest in my rack was only displaced by the big Lamm (L2 ref) although thats now gone too and maybe I have a bit of seller's remorse with the Hovland and would consider the HP-200 if one at the right price came along.

As far as bang for the buck I think the LL2 deluxe is a great preamp and they can be bought for less than $3K without fail.
just thought i'd give an update on where i finally landed... i got a hovland hp100, up to current specs, and am using some finely matched, low noise mullard 12ax7 from andy at vintage tube svcs, and a cleartop rca for the 12au7 (not using the phono stage, so just got some cheapos in there). the hovland is sitting on some walker valid points, and i got some walker HDL for the speakers. everything is sounding AMAZING. i'm goin to be listening for a while, but i have a feeling i might be swapping in some 12ax7 that are a little more open on top, just hoping i can get a little more air without sacrificing the midrange that is just absolutely the best i've heard in my system. not bloated, not slow, so open, and still very palpable... really enjoying it!
Thanks for the update Steve, I'm glad you are enjoying the rig. I thought the Hovland would make a great match, though I am currently using a ARC Ref 3 myself. If you are not using the phono stage, why not just take the tubes out and save the wear altogether? They may come in handy later in 'emergency duty'.
Are you still running the Legend Audio triode monos? How do you like them?

For that little more air, you may want to try either some silver ribbon cables (RSAD) or some of the Jade Audio Vermeil or Hybrid gold/silver cables, Gabriel Gold Revelations may also work for you. Personally, I would recommend the latter two. I found that silver, while initially enjoying the new transparency, eventually I preferred the gold mixed with the silver. Better extension than the PAD cables, but still truer harmonics than pure silver. The Jade Audio Hybrid's are the best I've yet heard, but can be a little pricey. The Vermeil is a steal at it's asking price, IMHO. You have 30 days to decide for yourself.

John