In What Order Do You Turn On/Off Gear Separates ?

I know this was addressed in the last month or so but couldn't find the thread. In what order do you turn on/off the following gear:

Primary Preamp
Power Amp
Phono Preamp
Turntable
CD Player

I appreciate your consideration, and apologize for the repetitive question. I am new to the idea of separates, having been an owner of only integrated amps or receivers in the past.

Mary
mcrheist
Think of the path the source signal takes when turning on:
Sources>preamp>amp

Think of working your way back "upstream" from the speakers when turning off:

amp>preamp>source components

Or to simplify since it's the amp that is the most important part of this order: on, amp-on last; off, amp-off first (use the fffs as the mnemonic)
Stevecham,

Thank you for your response. What should be done if I want to keep the amp (SS) on all the time as well as the CD player (SS)? The preamps ~ main and phono ~ are both tubes so I would like to turn those off after each listening session.

Thanks again,
Mary
Mary,

While Steve is right, some systems are more, and thus some less sensitive to this issue. I leave my SS amps on all the time, and have found my pre doesn't cause me any problems to turn on or off, so order for me doesn't matter. Try your system out and see, it might not matter.

Ken
Ken,

It did matter with the equipment I am demo'ing. Last night I turned off the pre and there was a small "pop" noise through my loudspeaker. I cannot remember which order I was turning off the components because I was extremely tired and wasn't paying attention. But, this had never happened before. So, I was curious which is the preferred method, particularly when leaving the CD player and power amp on (both SS). Thank you.

M