Amplifiers for Talon Hawk monitors

Hi All,

I've been using a Levinson 23.5 amp with my Talon Hawks and just wondered if anyone had experience of a better ss amp match. I've also used expensive Audio Research, Plinius and Conrad Johnson amps with them and did not appreciate the match.

I've heard some good things about Edge and Halcro but would really appreciate any views and information about their actual or potential performance with the Talons.

Many thanks
dgob
Chaz801,

Many thanks but I really think that the Talon/Hoodoh/Levinson/velodyne combination - as driven by my Essential 3160 line/phonostage - gives me live music/performances in my listening room. I cannot put into (a few) words what this all means but there are Audiogon threads about using Subs in stereo that give a pointer to what this all means but to hear it is to find an end point in my search: it is that good and realistic.

Maxwellsilverhammer,

thanks for your suggestion but I sold my Audio Research VT200 MKII for the Levinson 23.5. It is in another league for presenting a natural realism across the full acoustic range (I think there are various review threads online if your input "Levinson 23.5 reviews" on Google you should get an idea of the case as it sounds to me). I've since had it modified with Eichmann cablepod inputs, new higher grade bipolar resistors and a modified internal crossover point at 70Hz (the mentioned sub threads rehearse some of the advantages that this affords the monitors - my Talons in this case).

Rives,

I am not certain if the new stands might make the same difference as I have not had a chance to hear them. However, the details and realism from placing them on the Hoodoohs was simply frightening. I could shout the strengths of the Talons from the roof tops and believe me I have searched long and hard to bring live performances into my personal space. Although my Hawks are the old model, in my particular set up I do not believe they can be outperformed by other speakers REGARDLESS of price.

I still hope to continue this dialogue but hope others try experimenting with them and stands, integrated subs and amplifier should not be underestimated.

In joy and music
Hi All,

Just to say, on the sub/monitor issue, you might want to give a close read to the various positive cases presented at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1117893153&read&keyw&zzintegrated+subs.

The Google search on the Levinson should afford you the perspectives of actual users and I find the consistency of opinion interesting.

Just in case
Dgob
It sounds like a really good system you have honed together. If it sounds better than the VAC/Talon system i heard, I would love to hear it. I can attest to the levinson sound too although never heard the combination you are refering to. Levinson is the reason i started to follow and become an audiophile about 10 years ago. I was a home theater fanatic and still love a nice home theater but when i visited Audio FX in Sacramento way back when, I was floored by the sound coming from the Levinson/Dynaudio C-5. I think the cut was take me to the river cant remember the group. Right then i knew i had to have one of those!!
All in all, Im glad you have found something that gets you closer to the holy grail of sound. Happy Listening.
I have both Levinson Ref 20 and VAC 160 musicblocs. With the Hawks there is no comparison--the Musicbloc is awesome. I'm also using a Navison 572 monoblocks with an older pair of Hawks. These amps have little bass, which is fine with me and would be fine if you were using a sub (I'm not in this set up). The Navison's are considerably less expensive than the VAC amps. They are also less power--only 8 watts I believe, which in my application is more than enough. It's an office system and I don't play loudly there. The Navison has a wonderful open midrange. Probably not as low in distortion, but just very musical and enjoyable to listen to.

As to the stands--the older models do not have the threads for the stands, so I probably wouldn't really recommend the Wings stand for older Hawks. What you have is probably a great choice--sounds like it from your description.
Rives,

I see your point but think that the 23.5 and old Ref 20 are not really the same beast. Have you seen the brief comparison at http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/606/index9.html?

Chaz801

Thanks again. I am very happy with it but no doubt will continue to tinker as is our way. On the sub issue, if you check the Audiogon link cited about and look at the article by R. L. Hardesty cited by Rauliruegas on the second page of the thread you can see how the Hawks can supercede expectations.