How to upgrade a nondetachable power cord?

Hi
My Conrad Johnson amplifier has a captive power cord.
I have bought a VH audio diy kit to make a new power cord. So, What do you recommend?
- Cut the original amp cable and put a female connector and then plug the new cord
or
- Open the amplifier and attach the new cord inside the amplifier. This would take a big hole to do it.
Please give some advice
Thanks
ALAN
alanbrain
I tried adding the female IEC to an existing cord - the kind that leave you a pigtail hanging out the back. I removed it and wouldn't do it again, at least not on a good piece of equipment. I think it looks cheap, and if you're leaving the old cord there for the final run to the PS, I'm not sure what you accomplish.

If you're going to do anything, install an IEC with good hookup wire to the PS, or replace the entire cord with a better one.

Finally, you can probably find a shop to do the work for you, but it will be expensive because of the labor involved. OTOH, compared to the cost of a good power cable, this charge will probably be nominal
sometimes the original dedicated cord is the best cord. i'm sure conrad-johnson knew what they were doing.
The last time I looked into the "how to" of this matter, it seems to me there were chassis punches available that accommodate either 15 or 20 amp IEC receptacles. I'm sure you can find them to purchase, or (even better!) a repairperson who has them, and would do it for you for a small charge.
I would contact CJ about them installing an IEC as they will give you better advice than anyone else can. Otherwise I am with downunder don't mess with it.

Chuck