How to upgrade a nondetachable power cord?

Hi
My Conrad Johnson amplifier has a captive power cord.
I have bought a VH audio diy kit to make a new power cord. So, What do you recommend?
- Cut the original amp cable and put a female connector and then plug the new cord
or
- Open the amplifier and attach the new cord inside the amplifier. This would take a big hole to do it.
Please give some advice
Thanks
ALAN
alanbrain
I agree with Nsgarch, I've probably installed at least a dozen IEC panel receptacles on hi fi equipment, including my open reel tape machine, my AirTight ATM 3's and even a Pioneer Elite RPTV.

Is your CJ still under factory warranty? I ask because if it is, the factory may not approve of your mod.
Hi
I think my CJ is way out of the warranty. ALbertporter, When you installed the iecs you made a hole in the chassis?
How did you do it to look fine?
Alan
what are you expecting a new power cord to do in terms of an upgrade ?

the cj amp has a captive pc for a reason,you will not be doing your amp a favor by hacking a hole in it for an aftermarket pc.
Hi Allan.If your apprehensive about cutting a hole in the chassis. The only alternative is to cut the existing cord close to the chassis and solder the female receptacle to it,use a heat shrink to make it look a little more professional....kind of defeats the purpose though. Sounds like you have an older CJ. I installed one on a MV 52 some years ago. Best of luck
I've done it both ways. Hard wiring the cable is by far the easier route but installing the IEC receptacle does allow more future flexability. Good luck and let us know how it works out.