Aesthetix Calypso vs First Sound Presence Deluxe

I would like to compare the Calypso to the First Sound Presence Deluxe. I have heard the Calypso at a dealers showroom but I have yet to find a dealer For the First Sound. Both preamp are around the price point I was looking to spend. Both get wonderful reviews. The Calypso has balanced inputs and outputs and a remote control which the First Sound does not. The First Sound has a outboard power supply and is a little cheaper, plus can be upgraded very easy. Both of the preamps seem to be at the top of the class in this price range. As I said before, I have not heard the First Sound, which I hope to.
I Would love to do a side by side comparaison at home in my own system, but without a dealer for the First Sound in my area that seems impossible. Am I missing anything not hearing the First Sound ? I was very impressed by the Calypso, and this was just at the showroom. I haven't heard it at home yet.
Which Preamp will deliver more warmth, Bloom, detail and soundstage ?
My current system consists of Audio Research VT 100, LS16mk1,PH3SE,VPI Scout, Marantz 8260 sacd. All cables throughout are Virtual Dynamics Masters. Speakers our Audes Grand Blues. Room size is 29x24x7.
Thanks for any input. Brian
brouch
I can't comment on the 1st sound, but I have a Calypso with:

Rowland 201 monoblocks
Modded Sony 777
Linn LP12
Aerial 9 speakers
Evans "groove" phono stage
Kubala-Sosna Emotion IC's
JPS power cords
Acoustic Zen speaker cables
Shunyata conditioner
various tweaks and stands

LOVE the Calypso. I run balanced IC's to the amps (Rowlands like balanced) but all RCA's in from the Linn and Sony.

My room is 26 x 15 x 8, but that doesn't matter for the preamp.

I have not owned AR gear, but the match should be just fine. I ran the Calypso into some Bryston gear for a while and it was equally splendid.

I upgraded the tubes, just for fun, and of course different tubes make a different sound, but it was much more subtle than the same changes with other preamps I've owned (Rogue, Melos, Sonic Frontiers).

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the Calypso in my opinion.

Rich B
As far as "warmth" and "bloom" is concerned, I'm not sure I'd say that about the First Sound.
Detail - Absolutely.
Stage - Huge.
Power - Beyond!
Crystal clarity - With out a doubt
Dynamics and Slam - Probably unmatched.
Warmth and Bloom - nah!

The FS will reflect what ever you have up, and down stream. If your source is smooth your, sound will be smooth, with the FS. Of course, the opposite is also true. It is very revealing. I happen to love what the FS does.
Playing around with the sound by warming or blooming it, is not my particular cup of tea.
If you liked the Calypso you should go with it. follow your heart - and ears. :-)

best
I have the FS and just listened to the calypso yesterday in a different system. I would agree that the FS is ultra quiet with good dynamics and bass response. The calypso has more inherent warmth, and probably will be a better match with your equipment. You are welcome to hear my FS if you wish, but you did not mention what area you lived in. I am in upstate NY (albany area), best of luck.