Can I plug my iPod directly into an amp?

Is it possible to play an iPod directly through an amplifier? I know you can play CD players with volume control straight through an amp with no preamp... Can I do the same with my iPod?
ewha
Yes, you can but you would have to do so via the Headphone out and use the volume control on the iPod. Make sure it is turned all the way down when you hook it up. You will need a Mini Plug to Stereo RCA cable to do this..

Chris
Yes, you can. But the sound will be crap as you have to use the phone out rather than the dock's line out (which is pretty good sounding).
True but if you have the files in Apple Lossless compression or uncompressed WAV files or use Exact Copy, its OK (not great but not crap). Cardas has a cable exactly for this (using the headphone connection in the iPOD) as does I think Audioquest. I use the Cardas and the sound quality when done this way is OK, sorta like a cheap CD player. I know its not saying much, but you gain the flexibility of the IPOD and playlists etc....I use it for background music at parties etc...obviously not for serious listening.
My mistake! I misread your question.....I was describing a connection to a pre-amp not power amp directly. My apologies.