tube amp info

I just purchased a pair of mono tube amps and have just started playing them in my system. Do tube amps amps generally require more volume on the preamp than s.s. and is there a recomended warm up time before playing them at volume. Any other guidlines appreciated, thanks
renotunes
Well, if you're supposed to turn your amp off before your pre, how do you turn your tube preamp off if you were leaving your SS amp on?
Quoting from the "TIPS & ADVICE" section of the owner's manual to my VAC Rennaisance 140/140 Mk. III tube amps:

"How long should tubes last? It has long been known in professional circles (and probably now forgotten) that a [small signal] tube such as the 12AX7 will display BETTER performance characteristics after TWO YEARS of CONTINUAL operation than when it was new. In normal use it is not unusual for a low level tube to last 5 years or longer. Output tubes [i.e., power tubes used in tube power amps] are another story, as they are continuously providing significant amounts of current." (Emphasis original).
Well here is another 140/140 owner needs to retube the 300B's (16) soon. Are the EH gold grids a decent choice.