"This Latest Digital Amp Is Great "

I see this so often. I wish it would happen.
I really think the builders of these amps shoot themselves in the foot, by rushing to market.
How many of these "Last Word In Digital" amps come out, get great press, then start down the modkateer path for hundreds of dollars in improvements.
These things are supposed to be simpler, sound as good or better than all the best analog amps, and be cheaper.
It hasn't happenned!
I understand the concept of building to a price point.
I don't think anyone has come close, except PS Audio, with the HCA-2. They are a bargain here used, in my opinion.
All the rest are overpriced.
I'm still waiting. It'll finally cool off here in Phoenix soon, and my Cary CAD 300 SEI will glow & those 15 watts of 300B will still rule my audio world.
danielk141
Snofun3,
I don't disagree with your points. My question is: why was this thread necessary? It comes off as instigating a conversation destined to turn confrontational and demeaning. And so it went.
Boa2,

I've heard the Flying Moles. I just can't believe they still go for $700.00 a pair. They can't cost very much to make.......
I tried a friends Spectron in my house on Watt/Puppy 5.1s
with Transparent Cable & a Theta Gen Va. It sounded better than many conventional amps. Unfortunately, it was already superseded in the line by the time I auditioned it.
I've followed the threads here & I'd like to hear the H2O amps. Anything that can drive an Apogee Scintilla is serious in my book. There just isn't anyone in the Phoenix area that carries them for audition. Ditto for the Nuforce.
I don't see myself as dismissing the whole sector of digital amps - there will probably be a couple more coming to market (and press) this week.
I do listen to the seasoned audiophiles here. Many have posted there systems & I am familiar with the popular amps & other gear they reference. When someone says a digital amp sounds better than their X600s, I'm interested. And if
that amp can be heard locally, I'll be there.
Daniel141K, Thanks for the additional comments. If you're a 300B (or SET, in general) lover, the digital stuff may/may not be for you, but it's definitely worth a listen, IMO. I really like the H20 amps, personally. While they won't likely end up as part of our mini arsenal of audio schtuff, they do sound fantastic. Again, just my opinion.
Regards,
Howard
I think that the "digital" amp revolution.......if you can call it that......is here to stay. Especially for 5(+) channel systems, where escessive heat, weight, and space are too much of a hassle for the owner.

Sure, I would like to sell everyone here one of our amps. But I know that they are not for everyone. They do "sound" different. Doesn't mean better or worse, just different.

As for the flavor of the month:

You bet. This month, one brand will be the one that gets all the buzz in the press. Then someone else comes out with a new module, and we will play musical chairs, following each new amp peddler that shoves one in their products. Sure, a few die-hards wills stick to their guns, claiming that theirs is still the best............they were the first, so they will always be the benchmark, etc., etc., blah, blah.

We have all heard this song before, just with different lyrics.
Ar_t You really need to identify yourself as a commercial individual in complete disclosure. To not do so is highly unethical. Your posts should be viewed with that in mind.