"This Latest Digital Amp Is Great "

I see this so often. I wish it would happen.
I really think the builders of these amps shoot themselves in the foot, by rushing to market.
How many of these "Last Word In Digital" amps come out, get great press, then start down the modkateer path for hundreds of dollars in improvements.
These things are supposed to be simpler, sound as good or better than all the best analog amps, and be cheaper.
It hasn't happenned!
I understand the concept of building to a price point.
I don't think anyone has come close, except PS Audio, with the HCA-2. They are a bargain here used, in my opinion.
All the rest are overpriced.
I'm still waiting. It'll finally cool off here in Phoenix soon, and my Cary CAD 300 SEI will glow & those 15 watts of 300B will still rule my audio world.
danielk141
Well, Art, how do you conjecture the sound of my amps? It has been my experience, class D amps differ from each other in sound more than between the best solid states, and tubes.
You know, it amazes me the number of people who join product audio discussions just to do social commentary.

There must be someone in my vicinity who can drop in for a listen. The proof is in the listening, not my hype, or reviews. I am in N CAl.
I've owned the Acoustic Reality, with the ICE module. It sounded good to me, but I hated that ridiculous triangle where all cables were stuffed.
I auditioned an Adcom HCA-2, it definitely seemed much more polished of a design than the A.R.....

So you actually liked the amps? And yet, you initiate a thread in order to dismiss an entire sector without having heard most of its product offerings? This is a most disingenuous thread, Danielk141. As well, you could have easily predicted that it would become a discussion in which its proponents would also be trashed. And for what purpose?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big SET fan myself. Love the 300B amps. MOSFETs, too. I've heard two digital setups myself, including Muralman1's. While they are not my cup 'o tea, I can certainly understand that others would find them to be the end all. They reproduce music in a way that SS and tubes don't IMO, and isn't that enough of a foundation to respect a difference of opinion? In my view, it certainly is. I still don't get it. You LIKED the two amps that you heard!

Honest1, you may not know but the Audio Aero Capitole was used in over half of the rooms at CES. So clearly, whatever hype might have existed has translated into a concrete presence in the marketplace. However, what concerns me further in your post--Honest1?--is your dishonest allusion to a one-man hype show regarding the H20 amps, which is an obvious invitation to gang up on Muralman1. Witness the subsequent posts. Yes, I happen to know Muralman1, personally, if you want to call that a disclaimer. Yes, I've read all of his posts on the H20. No, I don't agree with his conclusions about the H20. But if someone is happy with his/her system, what business is it of mine to tell them that they shouldn't be? Even more important, I have yet to see cause for anyone here to pummel any member of this community as though you have located the punk on the playground. In my view, this thread is merely inciteful, and apologies are in order.
Well, Vince........

I have built amps using several of the new self-oscillating amps modules. I have also heard some of the competing brands using the same modules.

Maybe because I have spent 20+ years trying to build conventional amps, that I am more tuned to the differences between them. I built open-loop designs, and they are perhaps more prone to revealing minute changes in power supply design.

As for the Class D ones........

They seem less prone to power supply changes. While the guys who design the modules are all convinced that theirs is better than the next guys, my beta testers say something else.

Yes, they can tell A (module) is different than B (module). Although, press them to say which they prefer, and they all come up blank.

For conventional amps, it is usually easy: "This one has more bottom end and dynamics. I want this one." You do not hear that much difference between the various Class D modules in that regard, so it makes it harder for them to chose.

If I am not mistaken.........you probably have speakers with a very low impedance. Could be that what you use mates up
better than with other amps that you have tried.

Personally, I am not fond of a certain brand into low-Z loads. There is too much interaction between the load and the output LPF. There are other brands that claim to have solved this problem. Ask me in about a month or two: I should know by then.