"This Latest Digital Amp Is Great "

I see this so often. I wish it would happen.
I really think the builders of these amps shoot themselves in the foot, by rushing to market.
How many of these "Last Word In Digital" amps come out, get great press, then start down the modkateer path for hundreds of dollars in improvements.
These things are supposed to be simpler, sound as good or better than all the best analog amps, and be cheaper.
It hasn't happenned!
I understand the concept of building to a price point.
I don't think anyone has come close, except PS Audio, with the HCA-2. They are a bargain here used, in my opinion.
All the rest are overpriced.
I'm still waiting. It'll finally cool off here in Phoenix soon, and my Cary CAD 300 SEI will glow & those 15 watts of 300B will still rule my audio world.
danielk141
Danielk141:

Curious which amps you're referring to? I just listened to the JRDG Concerto Integrated which boasts an Icepower amp section, and think it's rather amazing. The last word in ampflication, digital or otherwise, probably not, but definitely does what it says. Granted, it's in another price level than the PS audio stuff (btw, was totally unimpressed with their Gain Cell control amplifiers) but I wouldn't imagine modding it. I see what you're saying, but there are a lot of companies not claiming to be the last word in digital amplification, but still producing great products, often with attractive price tags (Channel Islands, Bel Canto, etc.). Curious which one's you've heard and not liked?
I replaced Pass Labs x 600 monos with a class D ICE powered amp. I replaced that amp with an even better sounding ICE powered amp. There is no turning back for me.
All a matter of taste. I actually prefer the digital amplifiers to some tube and SS.Not to mention equipment synergy is a key.
Do you think the Sonic Impact is overpriced at $39 MSRP? It's certainly not "the last word" in digital amplification, but it is better than some 3X-4X times more expensive units and some folks actually think it is great in their systems.

Now, when the module from the SI is mod'd into the Clari-T by Redwine Audio, it is a differnt story. If you can live with only 8 watts/channel, the Clari-T might set the bar for best bargain at its $500 price-point.

I've read several reviews/comments on the Channel Islands D-100 and D-200 stating they are truely "world class" and they are very affordable.

And you comment about simpler: You must be joking! Are you saying your Cary is as simple as a Digital chip amp? I don't think so...

Digital amps may not "float your boat" and that's fine. There is something to be said for the sound of a good tube amp and that sound may never be duplicated with a digital amp. But for many "budget audiophiles" digital/switching amps will be their end game.

Enjoy,

TIC