Lightning Strike - Immediate and Delayed Effects

Firstly,contrary to the popular saying, lightning does strike twice at different times, in the same place.

We had a large (70’ approx.) Sycamore tree hit by lightning in 2012 and then it was hit again 3-days ago! Ironically, although the tree was leafing out, it looked sickly and I had it scheduled for removal next week. However, following the strike, I had the job done yesterday.

In 2012, various items in the house containing integrated circuits were toasted, but the total replacement costs were under our $1K deductible. Now, we're having a similar, but different experience.

For example, the Marantz Pre-Pro (AV 8001) in the Home Theater room is not recognizing any HDMI cables plugged into it. It does power on. Text is seen on its display (that's where I'm reading No HDMI). I've powered it off -- unplugged it from the mains, disconnected & reconnected HDMI cables -- still no HDMI ports are recognized. My next step would be to reset the microprocessor. If problems persist, I suppose I should call the unit damaged and inform the insurance company of same.

I have yet to determine whether my PC based digital playback chain in the 2-channel room has been affected and if so, how badly. My Mac mini isn’t seeing the external HD (Hard Drive). The HD is an internal that’s inserted into a dock which then connects to the DAC via Firewire. I’ve determined that the HD works in another dock, so the HD works, I just don’t yet know whether it’s the dock, the Mac mini or ???

BTW, the Marantz Pre-Pro was connected to our LAN via an Ethernet cable to our AT&T Uverse Gateway (modem if you will) and 2 out of its 4 ports were fried. My PC's (hard-wired) network adapter is also toast, but everything else in the PC works fine. That's fortunate, because the 2012 strike took out that PC's motherboard & CPU, but I was able to use its power supply & video card when I rebuilt the PC. Hopefully a very inexpensive add-on network adapter card will replace the on-the-motherboard fried adapter, making the PC fully functional.

Additionally, while the DC powered beater bar connected to the Whole House Central Vac worked for a few minutes, it stopped. This suggests that the AC to DC converter may have been affected by the lightning strike.

Certainly, one of the areas that the strike obviously affected was the A/C –D/C powered in-ground lawn sprinkler controller in the garage. Its hinged cover was blown about 6’ away from its wall-mounted case. Plus the interior of the case is quite blackened!

With that said, we have an electrician scheduled to replace a GFI breaker (in the breaker box) that can’t be reset, and we will have him do a look-see at the rest of the electrical system. However, I’m wondering about the long term effects of a surge such as this on the many other audio components I have in both my 2-channel and HT systems? I have electrostatic speakers in both rooms, so they were obviously plugged into AC outlets. Additionally, I have Synergistic Research cabling with several individual wall-warts for each cable pair.

Moreover, in total, my electronics contain over 50 individual tubes. Although after a brief test, with the exception of the aforementioned DAC, the pre-amp, monoblocks, and Soundlab speakers are functional, I wonder if the tube’s lives may be shortened.

Has anyone else had similar a similar experience of a non-direct lightning strike, or understand what obvious and not so obvious (delayed) effects on audio/visual equipment may be a result and how best to deal with one’s homeowner’s insurance regarding the present and perhaps delayed issues?
128x128mrmb
This thread raises an important question about the wisdom of using surge protectors. The comments in another thread, and possibly even more threads, seem to line up behind the notion of plugging one's amp directly into the AC wall socket. Many have complained that inserting power conditioners, regenerators and surge protectors between the AC wall socket and the amp adversely affect the sonic performance of the amp. So what's the answer?

Maybe the smart move is to simply use a device that acts as a surge protector for the other components and "pull the plug" on the amp when not in use. Oh ... and never use the rig during a lightening storm. This is more a question ... rather than a statement.

Comments??

Btw, I'd pull out what remains of my hair if I experienced what happened to the OP describes. Mrmb ... hope everything works out ok. Sorry to read about your bad luck.
@Bifwynne,
That is exactly what I have done for years. I use Shunyata and QRT conditioning devices on source components and preamp. Never had a problem and I live in thunderstorm prone Midwest.
I was struck by lightning twice(no joke) but I was a nut before then so I never noticed any lasting effect.
Schubert, before you were struck by lightning can we assume you were a big Elvis fan?
We have dicey juice where I live, and thunderstorms only add to the problem.

I'm plugging my amp into a Shunyata Triton, with no discernible effect on sound. My level of comfort doing that is ten-fold over going straight to the wall.

Still, when storms are in the area or could threaten if I'm out of the house, the system gets unplugged. Why chance it? We did get a strong strike in the lot next door. Fried our cable feed.