Furutech Evolution II Interconnects

I borrowed several pair of cables from thecableco to audition with my digital source (Lampizator Level 4.5 / Gen 4) feeding a Cary SLP-05. I felt that my current cables (Audio Magic Liquid Illusion) were a bit too bright or aggressive. I am not sure what the right words are, but I am looking for something to "tone it down a notch." I also listen to a lot of records so that certainly influences my preference in sound.

One of the sets I listened to today is a pair of Furutech Evolution IIs. I am really liking them right now. They seem very quiet and I don't hear anything that seems exaggerated.

I am wondering what others' experience is with these cables and how they compare to the Reference which is the next model up. I think I liked the Evolution more than the Purist Audio Design Venustas which are twice as expensive.
dminches
Hi Dminches, I concur with you...

I have reviewed the Furutech Evolution II wires in detail on Positive Feedback #45:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue45/furutech.htm

Evolution II are wonderful moderately priced wires, for those very reasons that you mention.... They are exquisitely listenable, musical, and surprisingly resolving for their price point... You cannot go wrong with them.

Guido
Guido,

Have you also listened to the Reference? How do they compare, sound-wise? I realize they are a bit more expensive.

David
Sorry David, I have not tried out the Furutech Reference wires, so I have no idea of their sonic signature.

Guido
I found the PAD Venustas to sound a bit sharp for my tastes, too much leading edge.
You can better the Furutech Evolution IIs by using their next level up bulk cable, which I believe is the same as used in the reference line.
I have used DIY IC cables using their u-P2.1-50 PCOCC with Alpha (magnetic & cryogenic) treatment and their excellent rca and XLR connectors. The main difference is the absence of the EMI-absorbing GC-303 module, which is not available for DIY (to my knowledge).
I will be posting (on A'gon) and selling off some cables soon if you are interested, or you can make your own.
The price difference is crazy. For $270 one can make their own 1 meter cable using Furutech's wire and connectors. That same interconnect (with the GC-303 module) costs $1500.

Have you used the solderless connectors or would you recommend the ones that require soldering?