System too bassy - Primaluna & Usher

I'm looking for advice on how to tame my bass. Since upgrading my amp to the Primaluna Dialogue One from a low end Harmon Kardon, I've noticed my fatigue level from the bass has shortened my listening times drastically. That could also be because listening levels are higher because of the increased power. Regardless, I would like to tame the bass which these Ushers are known for.

THE SETUP:

Lossless Files
Apple TV > unknown decent quality optical cable to...
Rega Dac > low end Monster RCA cable to
Primaluna Dialogue One > $3 ft speaker cable to
Usher Be-718 speakers
VTI Metal stands

The room is 12' X 13' with one side open concept into the rest of the condo. The wall that the system is against is actually a couple of feet shorter because of the HVAC system, which puts one speaker in a corner.

I just got the Primaluna amp and I love the Ushers and do really like the Rega Dac. So I'm not willing to change those.

MY THOUGHTS:

I'm thinking of interconnects, speaker cables and room acoustics. I think room acoustics is a must regardless. Perhaps I do that first, then look at the total sound.

What are your thoughts?
deetothevee
Mapman - what made you recommend the DNM reson ic's? I've been reading about them and of course, mixed reviews.
Maybe the root of the problem is not the bass frequencies. The speaker measurements shown in the stereofile link posted by Samhar show that the speakers have sensitivity of 85db coupled with 4 ohm and -41 deg phase angle at around 2k Hz.

This would suggest that your amp may have difficulties with this frequency. Since you suggest that you like mid-range, you maybe increasing the volume to make-up for the amp's shortcoming and in the process increasing the sound level of the low frequencies.

Cables won't help, speaker placement will to some extent but it may not be enough.
"Mapman - what made you recommend the DNM reson ic's? I've been reading about them and of course, mixed reviews. "

"And right now I would like a little less bass, maybe a little more detail and I always want more sweetness in the midrange (but without the expense of anything else at this point) and soundstage."

DNM is one of my preferred ICs that I use a lot, so I can recommend them.

The design is quite minimalist and unique, which has some advantages that I think could play well in your case as described.

They are very balanced top to bottom, quite detailed. SOundstage is also quite good accordingly.

Bass is just right on my system with those. Towards teh leaner side of things but articulate and muscular. Getting the bass right help expose details that can be masked otherwise.

They are also uniquely coherent top to bottom, meaning that the parts of the music come together in very natural and fulfilling manner.

One way that all this plays together well is I am able to understand vocals in most recordings better with these than any others I use. There is usually no mistaking the ability to understand what the human voice is saying or not in a recording. Plus being able to greatly increases the pleasure of listening IMHO. When voices come through loud and clear, that's a very good omen for all the rest, which can be harder to judge accurately.

Plus they are not expensive and can be had for not much, especially used.
"The speaker measurements shown in the stereofile link posted by Samhar show that the speakers have sensitivity of 85db coupled with 4 ohm and -41 deg phase angle at around 2k Hz."

Yea, as I mentioned above, I do not think the amp/speaker match is ideal for best bass quality possible, especially at higher volumes, and this is probably a good indicator, but hopefully getting the setup tweaked first buys enough to make things work.

ICs may help also, but an optimal amp/speaker match is usually one of the things that pays biggest dividends over time, as does getting a handle on speaker setup and room acoustics in general.