VPI Scout Ground Hum

Finally got this thing up and running and sounding pretty damn good. My first attempt at setting the VTF and azimuth was a challenge, everything sounded flat and just off, so I went back to the drawing board, realigned the cartridge and then VTF and azimuth and...BOOM, everything just came into focus and sounds "right" to me.

Anyway, having a bit of a hum issue with no music playing. I am using VPI's phono interconnects with the build in ground wire and of course the ground from the base of the tonearm underneath the table to the terminal box, but it's still there. Stops completely when I put my finger on the binding post of the phono terminal box or on the plug that goes from the tonearm cable to the terminal box...I know this is a common issue with Scouts...anyone got a fix?

As always, thanks in advance, you all are great and have been so helpful thus far.

Thebambino
thebambino
i've got the same thing. hum at high volume. if i touch the ground terminal and the RCA outs with my fingers it goes away entirely. i'm so confused. any thoughts guys/gals?
i've got the same thing. hum at high volume. if i touch the ground terminal and the RCA outs with my fingers it goes away entirely. i'm so confused. any thoughts guys/gals?
If it isn't a cable problem, check for vibration:

Lightly lift the arm. See if you feel any vibration.

If so, make sure the motor's powercord isn't touching the back left leg of the plinth. If you still have vibration, lightly feel around the top of your stand to see if the motor is transmitting vibration that way. You may have to further isolate the motor (I use sorbothane feet)
Hope this helps - frequently the ground wire on the connecting block is not connected at the underside of the turntable, so it acts as though there is no ground at all and hums. I've run into this problem a number of times with Scouts/Scoutmasters/SSM's.... try following the wire from the terminal block and make sure it is tightly connected to the nut on the bottom of the turntable. Good Luck - hope this helps.