Lyrita Catalog

Years ago when I had a very large vinyl collection, I had a lot of recordings by the British label Lyrita, the catalog of which if I recall properly was composed entirely of British artists. There had IMO the most consistently excellent recording quality of anything I have heard to date. Sound staging to die for, sweet extended highs, gobs of detail etc. It was rumored that the owner of the label was a bit of an eccentric and hated the then emerging digital CD with a passion, to the point where he stated that his label would never turn out a CD. I am curious if anyone knows if any of his catalog ever made it on to CD?
bioman
Thanks for the information, guess I'll join the group in tracking down used copies
Bioman, like the others, I also have the Arnold CD, which I picked up in 1993, I guess, the last time I was in London. It is not nearly as good as the LP, although it gives a hint of the Lyrita sound. Lyrita indeed did make CDs of a small amount of their catalog, and, if the Arnold disc is any indication, did make some new, digital recordings (the Arnold disc has some newly (then) recorded material) as well. Keep looking for the vinyl, in my opinion.
It is astounding to me that this label has all but disappeaered. The above mentioned Arnold CD, was a pretty good effort, but at $23.00 US, a bit pricey. There is no question the leader in Brit fare, was Lyrita (try the Holst "A Sommerset Rhapsody" LP with Boult for a real treat. Bax was also better represented than the competing Chandos label (that I also like).
A special note of interest is the fact that if your LP does not say "mastered by Nimbus" on the inner groove leadout, you hav'nt heard it at its best. The later issues stopped using the Nimbus mastering house, therefore, transparency and slam suffered. Someone needs to reissue this catalouge, and fast.......Frank
Frank, I agree with you whole-heartedly on the reissue point and on the Nimbus pressings. I have a number of copies of the Arnold on vinyl, and the Nimbus pressing clearly has more delicacy and air to it than the later pressings. That's the one I keep listening to.