VPI Scout running FAST...help?

Ladies and Gentlemen-

For your consideration, I present my very first world but very real audio problem.

Proud (sorta) second owner of a VPI Scout One. 11.5 Acrylic platter, 600rpm motor. Approx 3 years old, appears very little previous use.

At the present, the table is running at a steady and consistant speed of 34.6 and 47.1. I have tested the speeds using my ears (songs sound too fast), a strobe, the old fashioned counting RPM's over a 3 minute period, and even so far as to have a friend bring over a centerfuge calibrator from a medical lab. So I am certain that these are the speeds it is presently running.

Things I think I have ruled out:

Belt is new, but not brand new

Table is on a flat, level surface

Pulley is attached soundly in the motor

The reported speeds are at the top "rung" of the pulleys, I am aware that the higher up the pulley the belt is, the slower the platter turns.

Outlet power is ok, I have tested the table on multiple outlets and it is the same, also, my older Pro-ject table ran a consistant 33.5 on the very same outlet.

This is where I run out of ideas. I have placed an e-mail and call to VPI, but have not heard back yet. Anyone have any ideas? Goin crazy here...

Thanks in advance-
thebambino
It has nothing to do with the pulley. I've got the motor sitting on top of my counter top all taken apart, minus pulling the bottom of the actual motor housing off...sounds like there's some friction in there...in need of oil or something else, trying to pull the bottom off now
Fixed. In case anyone ever pulls apart the motor, it's really a simple beast. What happened was when I took off the brass nut that sits under the pulley, it allows the drive shaft to lower to the very bottom of the motor casing, creating a vibration. You have to manually hold up the drive shaft while you re-attach the set screw, and it holds the drive shaft a few mm above the bottom housing of the motor base.
Good news. Glad it is fixed. As a motor expert, you can now get and install the upgrade motor :) Enjoy the music.
05-17-14: Thebambino
Fixed. In case anyone ever pulls apart the motor, it's really a simple beast. What happened was when I took off the brass nut that sits under the pulley, it allows the drive shaft to lower to the very bottom of the motor casing, creating a vibration. You have to manually hold up the drive shaft while you re-attach the set screw, and it holds the drive shaft a few mm above the bottom housing of the motor base.

So is the brass spacer under the pulley still off? I have the same clicking noise when the motor starts up with the new pulley. So you are saying I need to lift the motor shaft up and push the pulley down before tightening the pulley set screws? Should I take the brass spacer off? That sounds like a tricky operation, there's not much room in there.
The brass spacer is on, but the trick is (at least for me) was holding the brass spacer set screw in place with the Allen wrench WHILE you push down the pulley to meet the brass spacer. If you don't hold it in place while you push down the pulley itself, you are actually pushing down the drive shaft ever so slightly into the motor casing, causing the vibration you are hearing (I think). If you need me to clarify let me know:)