variance of +/- 10 Hz with 1 kHz test tone

I tried the Dr. Feickert Speed Tests iPhone app. I don't have his test record for the 3150 Hz track and the app says that you can use a 1000 Hz tone. I have a 1000 Hz tone from the Clearaudio sweep / burn-in record and tried that with the iPhone app running and showing microphone input on the meter. The app registered nothing. Has anyone else been able to get his iPhone app to work with a 1000 Hz tone? Are there any known problems with this app on iOS 7?

I used another iPhone app "Tuner Lite" and it showed my table to average right on for a F# 5 with the tuner set to concert A 440 Hz using the 1000 Hz tone. The Tuner Lite meter did fluctuate between the sharp and flat side (again within the two inner arrows, about +/- 10 Hz and were equidistant on both the flat and sharp side) during even time slices / cycles. Is this wow? Flutter? Good, bad or indifferent? Hole off center on test record? Strobe 33.3 reading looks to be dead on using the same Clearaudio disk with stylus on the record.

Phono setup is:
RP6 with GT ref subplatter and TTPSU
Herbie Mat Way Excellent II-2mm
Audio-Technica AT-33PTG/II 0.3mV MC
Salience / Jasmine LP2.0 mkII

Thanks,

Scott
sbrownnw
@Gvasale and @Atmasphere, what is the formula you are using for these calculations?
Apologies apparently are in order. That amount -/+ 10 Hz is really 20 Hz because it is going from 1000 to 1010 to 990 and in between. I left off the % multiplier which changes it signicantly. 20/1000=.02x100=2%

Still, listening will give a good picture. Excerpt from NAB is correct. Ive been trying to increase a 1Khz tone with the signal generator (True RTA) but I can't move it in 1 hz steps to see how noticable it is, and my old analog signal generator has no way to accurately do the same as well.

Again, my apologies.
I found the Feickert 7" (my copy) tone to have a lot of inherent wow, it's off center or something. For example, if you are at 33.33 you'll see the bar go all the left/right edges of the green section.

The UTR 3150hz has much less sway back and forth in the Platterspeed's meter. It will do a much tighter measurement which looks more like the demo if you have run that in the app.
Ok, some new info here. I figured out why the Platter Speed app was not registering. I didn't realize that side 1 of the Clearaudio burn in LP is 45 rpm. Once I set the TTPSU to 45 rmp, the app registered the new data, which follows:

- speed varied between the -.2% slow mark and +.3% fast mark during the 1 kHz test in the first section on the first screen of the app
- unfiltered frequency varied between 1006 (with a few peaks at 1008) and 996 Hz over 35 seconds on the second screen of the app
- filtered frequency was almost completely flat at 1002 Hz over 35 seconds on the second screen of the app

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the filtered looked very good and it looks like my speed is fluctuating between 33.39 and 33.43 every second.

Much better?
Correction, speed is fluctuating between 33.27 and 33.43.

Here are some more app numbers from the 35 second sampling:

mean freq: 1001.3 Hz

raw freq
max deviation (relative): -2.76% / +.63%
max deviation (absolute): -27.6 Hz / +6.3 Hz

lowpass-filtered freq
max deviation (relative): -.16% / +.04%
max deviation (absolute): -1.6 Hz / +.4 Hz

What is the difference between the raw and lowpass-filtered frequencies? What is the net wow / flutter measurement of my table using this app?

Thanks everyone!