How Good Is A Marble Slab at Deadening Vibration

I have a marbles slab that is approx. 42" X 16X 2". A left over insert from a coffee table. I would like to lay it on top of a plant stand table that is 50" X 18X 30" The slab weigh about 70 lbs. II think I have enough space laterally to position a Rega turntable, a Bel Canto line stage, and Rega Apollo CD player and a pair of Red Dragon monoblocks, that could easily be stack vertically if necessary.(Also could place them on the bottom shelf which has a slight V-shaped dip ...probably a run off channel. This would save me three feet of speaker cable on both channels is placed near the bottom)

The plant stand is made of wood and has fairly massive "L-shaped" legs. The table weight is about 40 pounds.

My thinking is that a marble slab should provide excellent isolation from vibration. The only drawback is the left side of table will only be a foot from the right speaker. So I would start the progression of components from right to left to increase the distance to the speaker in question. Would like opinions from members about the pros/cons of this set-up. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
Thanks to those who have responded so far. I have accomplished situating the marble slab onto the wooden plant table which is 50 inches long. The mothering slab must weigh about 100 lbs. I am praying it will not collapse the table, but the latter seems fairly strong. I also transferred the components to the table....looks sharp, but hope it sounds good.

To Cymbop , I was just about to reach for the Mapleshade catalogue to see what they offer in footers...both brass and wood. The footers are going to have to support at least 30 lbs each. The slab is 2 inches wider than the table width so I will have to position any footer in approx. that far to get good balance and security.

To Bombaywalla, Interesting suggestion about the cork, though 3mm does not seem very thick, still sounds like a good idea.

I am done for the day; I will rehook everything up tomorrow and provide a report about the results. Thanks, Jim
I use marble or ceramic tiles stacked to form slabs with specially designed tempered high carbon steel springs underneath, you know, your basic mass-on-spring isolation... simple elegant effective.

(Manufacturer warning)
Much good advice here. I would think the marble would transmit vibrations more easily than damp. Put your ear to a counter and have someone gently rap further away.

I may be wrong. Bombaywalla had an interesting idea and I thought why not use dynamat instead?

Just my ramblings....

Best,
Dave
I tried stone. It was cold and shrill. I went right back to maple.
There is a tremendous difference in sound. If you prefer bright tinny sound compared to warm and natural then use your marble slab.