tonearm parameters

I've been reviewing turntable recommendations, on this and other forums, and what I'm struck with is advice that often you should upgrade the tonearm. This is especially true of vintage Thorens, Technics ,Luxman,and many other turntables Frequently, [not exclusively] Rega tonearms are recommended. We'll, I've had Rega P3,P5,RP6, and currently, RP8 turntables as well as Music Halls and Project TTs. In addition, I've had VPI TT's. I'm at a loss as to what is optimal in Tonearm qualities, and respectfully request from Audiogon members what exactly are the paramaters to look for.
boofer
Yes, cartridge-tonearm matching is key. And the Cartridge and Tonearm Databases over on Vinyl Engine are an excellent resource for determining a good cart-tonearm match.

One tonearm maker that offers considerable versatility in this area is Moerch, which has easily swappable armwands, which are available in a number of different effective masses. It is the effective mass of the arm that needs to match up well with the cartridge's compliance. An additional advantage of Moerch's armwand system is that it becomes easier to use multiple cartridges without the structural compromises inherent in swappable headshells.

As for Rega's, they are well-thought of arms, but you will also find many upgrade kits that will improve their performance. From rewires, to structural reinforcement, to VTA on-the-fly, to upgraded bearings. I really liked my Audiomods arm, which is the most extensively modified Rega arm, IIRC. It served me very well before I moved to Moerch arms for the reasons cited above.
I MY experience, adjustment of azimuth is a vital contribution to proper vinyl playback. After you get the proper geometry for your arm length, and get proper downward force, azimuth is next in importance...though all parameters are vital.
Dear Stringreen: +++++ " Low mass cartridge should be installed in a low mass arm. " +++++++

cartridge compliance is the " key " to define low mass or high effective mass in the tonearm. Yes, cartridge weight is important but the critical parameter down there is cartridgecompliance.
Raul is correct. A statement like, "Low mass cartridge should be installed on a low mass arm" is incorrect. A better (though still simplified) statement would be, "High compliance cartridge should be installed on a low mass arm, or vice-versa".

Examples: ZYX cartridges (especially without the optional SB weight) are fairly low mass. Koetsu cartridges are fairly high mass. Put either one on a low mass arm and it will sound anemic. This is because both have relatively low compliance suspensions (for their weight). Put the same cartridges on a mid-high mass arm and they will spring to life.

To the OP: your question is so open-ended that you'll receive a confusing maze of responses. It'll be fun to watch but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. Tonearms range in cost from a few hundred dollars up to, well, you probably wouldn't believe it. Within this expanding universe the number of different theories and their execution is beyond counting. Fasten your seat belt!
I'm with Redglobe. Hard to do better for a grand or so. I would give up my SME-V before I'd let go my Terminator T-3. Adjustable in all areas from azimuth, mass, as well as VTA on the fly if you care.
Terminator