Linn Sondek LP12 impressions

Hello I was wondering if anyone still uses these old designed turntables?

I know its totally not vogue since its a belt drive and all the rage DD and Idler have taken over as "the reference"

Lawrence
lharasim
I've owned my 25 year anniversary LP12 for almost 17 years. Originally it had the shoe box Lingo power supply, Cirkus bearing, and Ekos arm. Two years ago I upgraded it to the Radikal power supply, Ekos SE arm, Keel sub chassis and Akiva MC cartridge (Kandid wasn't out yet). Expensive, yes, but I'm extremely happy with the improved sound. Most that say the LP12 is dated haven't heard a fully updated one with the Radikal power supply, updated chassis and arm.
Linn has been a reference standard for years. Not that it is the best but most serious vinyl enthusiasts have heard one and can benchmark other tables against it. I had Axis and LP12 Valhalla and actually preferred the cheaper table. It was tidier cleaner and had less wooly bass, something the higher Linns also do better. I also liked the Linn Basik which was a great budget table.

LP12 can be be good or bad. Bad ones, even after being set up properly go off after a year or so. Mine was like that. I now use a Clearaudio.

That said, a well set up Linn Lp12 sounds great. Buy a nice used one. If you like it great. If not you can sell it at little to no loss.
"I had Axis and LP12 Valhalla and actually preferred the cheaper table. It was tidier cleaner and had less wooly bass, something the higher Linns also do better. I also liked the Linn Basik"

Agree about the Axis v. Valhalla. I preferred the Rega Planar 3 over the Basik.

I eventually bought a Planar 3 and kept that for I think 7 years. Sold it and bought an LP 12 with the Basik power supply. I was somewhat disappointed as in my system (at the time) the LP12 Basik was not a whole lot different from the Planar 3 (I was using a Rega arm on the LP12).

Within 2 years I had a Lingo installed and was really surprised how much of an improvement that was. That set me down the course towards upping my LP12 game. Eventually added an Ekos with a Troika. I know the Troika has a glowing reputation, but I just didn't care for it. Sold that (at almost 2x what I paid!) and bought a demo Arkiv B which I continue to enjoy.

Right now, the oldest piece of gear in my system is my LP12 at 16 years young! The Lingo is 14 years old.

My LP12 has never given me a lick of trouble. In these intervening years I've had CD players, tuners, amps, preamps, and a DAC repaired. But never the Lp12 (or my speakers-also 14 years old).
Banerjba, your comment that a LP12 can sound good or bad; Bad ones, even
after being set up properly go off after a year or so, makes absolutely no sense!
What would make a good LP12 vs a Bad LP12?
I guess I own a "good" LP12, as my TT does NOT go "off"
after a year or so, LOL.
Plus,IMHO, anyone that owned an LP12 and thought it was NOT better than an
Axis was either a) hearing a VERY poorly set up LP12 or b) hearing other
distortions up the line that were hiding the LP12's ability and playing to the
Axis's distortions or c) both. Again IMHO, whenever I have heard an Axis and
compared it to even an entry level LP12, the SQ increase with the LP12 was easy
to hear!
DaveyF. Early Linns were notiorious for going out of tune, not only in the UK but also here in Canada. Remember the basic design was not terribly well built. Lightweight wooden frame. Not terribly well braced. The Axis was a clean sheet design and for my all Linn system sounded tidier and cleaner. The LP12 was better in terms of resolution and ofcourse had a wider soundstage. But I have owned a lot of tables from Rega, Clearaudio, Pro-Ject, Technics, Thorens, Revolver and others so I know what kind of sound I like. I had my LP12 for 17 years.

I left the Linn school and prefer my subsequent B&W, McIntosh and Clearaudio set up.

As others bring up, a blown LP12 is a different animal that old 1989 vintage Lp12 I owned. I enjoyed mine but there are other excellent tables now as well.

It's pretty hard to lose with an LP12. If you like it, you have a table for life. If you don't, you can easily sell it.