Linn Sondek LP12 impressions

Hello I was wondering if anyone still uses these old designed turntables?

I know its totally not vogue since its a belt drive and all the rage DD and Idler have taken over as "the reference"

Lawrence
lharasim
Real good stuff...Has anyone in the group done some AB comparo's?

Personally really liked my Linn lp12 type and like turntables...very surprising to say the least.... this is my kinda Lp turner :)

Lawrence
Served me well for decades. Valhalla/Ittok. But doing direct comparison with my 401, it is definitely colored. I find it adds a veiled dull orange to the midband and upper bass. Still, it's pretty musical.
Let's face it. Any turntable that has so many upgrade kits must be exceedingly popular or why try to cash in?

There are a lot of urban myths about the LP12. One is that it needs constant tweaking and regular maintenance. Sure, anytime you return to the dealer for the latest sub-chassis, he will automatically throw away the old springs and drive belt as a matter of procedure but that doesn't mean they're worn out.
When I finally sold my LP12 it had been nearly 18 years since the last service/upgrade but it didn't miss a beat(in its entire lifetime). The springs had settled just a whisker but the chassis was still level and the "bounce" was still correct.
At more than quarter of a century old it then started its new life in someone else's service....and without even having to re-lube the bearing.

The Linn is a music making machine that defies any attempt to quantify it. In an idealist's eyes it may not be perfect but you will neither care nor notice after the music starts.
For many it can be highly addictive. Any turntable that makes you want to play music endlessly must be doing something right.