Linn Sondek LP12 impressions

Hello I was wondering if anyone still uses these old designed turntables?

I know its totally not vogue since its a belt drive and all the rage DD and Idler have taken over as "the reference"

Lawrence
lharasim
The Linn LP12 has gone through many variations. The latest is the LP12 SE version with the Keel sub chassis, the Radikal Dynamik power supply and the Ekos SE tonearm with the Kandid cartridge. Whether the TT competes with the current crop of SOTA TT's is another question. I brought this question up to the Linn forum and was quickly flamed to death...:0(
However, IMO, it is a valid question, particularly as the top end LP12SE is now priced at or above the competition. IMHO, the arm mount and the inflexibility of arm choices is a MAJOR detriment to an otherwise still great design.
Nice thing about Linn Axis is its easy to setup right, is said to have Sondek-like sound and can be had used these days still for a pittance compared to modern SOTA table. And I still find the sound and performance hard to fault, and I've heard a lot of different vinyl rigs over the years.
Mapman, a Linn dealer told me the reason the Axis was discontinued some years back was because it's sound was too close to the Sondek LP12 at a fraction of the cost. I guess they couldn't have their budget table competing with their top of the line.
Low,

Maybe. Would not surprise me.

Axis is easier to setup which would appeal to more people than LP 12, which is more for the enthusiast. Proper setup is 80% or more of the game when it comes to good vinyl sound. In hindsight, if I were Linn I would have kept both to keep market share, but back then most people were dumping tables for CDs for better or for worse, and Linn seemed more interested in going "high end" for higher profit margins.

Maybe the Axis should be resurrected to help Linn plug into the relative vinyl renaissance these days compared to the 80s when vinyl was dying?

Axis may be the best audio investment I ever made. I bought it when I saw vinyl was dying (and turntables becoming rarer and prices skyrocketing accordingly) so as not to have to replace all my records with CDs and its still going strong with never a down day (knock on wood...). Has saved me a lot of money and enabled me to broaden my library by not having to rebuy old stuff I already had on vinyl (which sounded great already) and focus more on adding new stuff both on vinyl or CD/digital as I please.

Having said all that, when my Axis dies someday, I will have to replace it, and would have no qualms replacing it with another newer Linn, maybe even a newer Axis if the price is right. Ive finally got the current phono system (Axis, Basik tonearm , Denon DL103R cart, step up and phono pre-amps) dialed in just right. It took a lot of time and effort to get it that way and any change is likely to upset the apple cart, FBOFW.

For those more open to change in this area and willing to pay, there are many choices out there nowadays besides Linn, though that is certainly an old familiar favorite for many, and with turntables especially, familiarity matters because there is so much that can go into getting any good phono system (which is a lot more than just the turntable) working just right, even if its the best table since sliced bread on paper.
If you can get it setup properly by an experienced tech, they are the best value out there. That's a big if though. I tried setting mine up for years and never was happy but when Brooks Berdan (sadly deceased) finally went through it for me, I was blown away by the difference. When Brooks passed away, I sold my LP12. I'm happy with my Well Tempered Simplex, which I finally settled on after demoing a lot of table. There are things my LP12 did well that even $5k turntable arm combos couldn't do. I miss it.