Koetsu RoseWood Standard upgrade?

Hello:
Just mounted a Koetsu RoseWood Standard dIrectly into a Shindo Monbrison.
Is the price difference for the Signature worth the sonic improvement?
My "old" ears ain't what they used to be!
Also, should an Auditorium 23 tranny be used or is the Shindo enough?
Thanks.

Shindo Monbrison
Shindo Montille
VPI Scout II
Auditorium 23 cables all around
bogeybuster49
I have the Koetsu Platinum Tigereye mounted on a VPI 12.7i arm. The synergy between cartridge & arm is excellent.
Dear Bogeybuster49: Yes, the Rosewood Signature Platinum is way better and with lower output too. I don't see any real trouble with the Rosewood in the VPI tonearm, I respect other opinions on SUTs but for me an active high gain phonolinepreamp is the best choice for the RSP or other LOMC cartridges. Yes an external SUT can works but then ( other than the SUT ) the very sensitive cartridge signal has to pass for additional stages: IC cables and connectors that degrade that precious cartridge signal. In the other side and talking on that kind of high quality performance level we have to think that the stand alone phono stage must be a real first rate design.

One of the gentlemans here posted that your Monbrison " is not a good synergy with " but this is a problem of Shindo design and in any way means that other SUT can beats a top well designed active high gain phonolinepreamp. IMHO if other audiophiles think that is the other way around and the SUT is better their way of thinking is telling us that they own or owned the wrong or not very well designed active high gain phonolinepreamp.

Of course and as always it's only an opinion.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear Rauliruegas,

It would be helpful if you elaborated on which active phono stages and which SUTs you used to make the comparison to determine that an active stage sounds better.

Respectfully,
Bob
Dear Bobsdevices: To many but I can list some of them. I own/owned of heard it in my system or systems I know very well.

Now before listing: an active stage is not a guarentee that beats a SUT, it's the active device design and design execution what can gives us if it's better or not.

Other important subject is the audio/music reference/standards and own audio system targets we have because on that kind of comparisons that reference/standards we have are the critical issue.
In my case the reference is live music and my targets are: accuracy, very low distotions ( any kind ) and neutral performance to be nearest to the recording adding and losting the less of the cartridge signal.

A SUT is always the best unexpensive choice but as everything in audio items it has its trade-offs.
A well designed active stage almost always is an expensive " answer " and like all audio items is not perfect, it has its trade-offs too.

In the vintage years when appeared the LOMC cartridges almost any single cartridge manufacturer at the same time offered to their customers a SUT because the active designs on those times or were not up to the task or almost no one wont to design that kind of electronics.
Dynavector, Audio Technica, Denon, Highphonic, Audiocraft, Koetsu, Fidelity Research, Ortofon and the like did it that way.

Through my experiences the SUT trade-offs ( everything the same ) against an active high gain phonolinepreamp are at both frequency extremes where the SUT can't even that well designed phonolinepreamp. The external SUT's are more " problematic " because the cartridges signal must pass for aditional IC cables and connectors where that sensible signal suffer from several ways of " attack " as electrical polollution ( EMI, RF, and the like ) and obviously those connectors and solder in the IC cables where these sole cables always degrade the signal.

Now, I'm not saying that a SUT sounds bad, what I'm saying is that can't even or outperform a well designed active phonolinepreamp. Yes and due to those each one audiophile targets and reference/standards an audiophile could likes more the SUT over the active stage but this fact does not means the SUT is better or performs better ( everything the same. ).

These are some first hand experiences with aactive stages: Krell, Boulder, Dartzeel, Halcro, Sutherland, Atmasphere, Levinson, Pass/Threshold, Rowland Whest, etc, etc.

This the ones with SUT's: Audiotechnica, Dynavector, Denon, Audiocraft, Entré, Ortofon, Cinemag, Lunddahl, Jensen, Highphonic, Micro Seiki, Koetsu, Sony, Expressive Tech, Hommage, Audio Note, etc, etc.

Go figure my Denon DL-1000 weight is 10kgs and my AT 1000 T 8.5 kgs. I have on hand some of those SUT's that I modified for a better quality performance.

Btw, my active phonolinepreamp is a self designed one.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R .
Rauliruegas there are actually some really nice custom options available these days compared to the vintage ones you listed. Transformer cores and such have come a long way in increasing transparency. I would not be over paying for something like Tango, Altec, etc.

Some really nice SUTs from modern winders can be had from Tribute and Intact Audio. Optimized for your cartridge.