AN-J or AN-E with Meishu

I am using an Audio Note Meishu with AN-K speakers. I'm planning to upgrade to AN-J or AN-E to get a better sense of space (soundstage and image).

The difficulty is the size of the room and its dimensions. The room is 4.5 meters wide and 4.2 meters long (3 meters tall). That's almost a quadrangle. (I might be able to move the stereo to another room in the apartment, which is 5.1 meters long and 3.3 meters wide).

My question is this: Is the roughly 17 m2 of the current room too small for the AN-E? I was planning to go with the AN-J because of the general recommendations from the company but I heard that the Meishu works particularly well with AN-E. I'm moving up from AN-K to get a better sense of space (image and soundstage).

Does anyone have experience in using the Meishu with AN-J and AN-E? In a small rooms?

Thanks,
Fred
fabsound
I've been flirting with getting AN speakers for several years. I've heard them only at shows -- usually the AN-E, but David Cope was playing the AN-K at the Newport show this year. The AN speakers are always wonderfully, compellingly musical but I've dragged my feet because I worry that I will find myself missing some of the clarity, detail and air of more audiophile-type designs. I mention this because I wonder if what you are looking to get by moving up the AN line will really be there. It seemed to me to that the K had a bit more clarity in the lower midrange than I remember from the E's I've heard, and I found that appealing. Not really the same thing as soundstage and imaging, but it could contribute to those areas.
I apologize for the delay in my response. I'm not getting notification e-mails for some reason.

Dkarmeli: Thanks very much. Very useful advice.

Drubin: Interesting question. I've been thinking about lot about this myself and I'm not sure there's a clear answer. The Ks are famous for their clarity, I think. I bought them because I could not afford more at the time and immediately noticed their obvious qualities. However, since I got them in 2008 or 2009, I have gone through two stages. The first was a gradual frustration with the closed box. They don't breathe as much as I'd like them to. However, in the second stage, which started once I upgraded other parts of my system (notably with a Sogon interconnect, one of the best purchases I ever made, and then a Meishu amp) I started to appreciate the speakers in a different way. The tone is simply fantastic. Vocals and acoustic instruments sound stellar. So I have developed such an appreciation and affection for these speakers that I'll keep them forever. But only because I also moved them to a smaller room of circa 12 square meters. They are perfect in this room. They have command of the room in a way they didn't in my larger living room where they were before. So with the right room size and a bit of acoustic treatment, I strongly recommend the AN-Ks. I guess it's the same with the Js and Es, although I've heard that the Js should be much easer to position. The Ks still don't have a big soundstage, but it's OK, and it can be improved a bit with a few upgrades to my system (I'm using Silver Sonic T14 speaker cables and a cheap battery DAC and digital cable. I can clearly hear the limitations).