Recapturing the JBL L100 Century

Back in the day, teenager in the '70s, the speaker I really wanted but couldn't hope to afford was the JBL L100 Century. Is there a modern day speaker that captures what the JBL did? It would be fun to assemble a modern/retro system that did what say a Dual 1229 or Thorens table, Marantz receiver, and the JBLs did. It sure was a fun speaker to listen to.
128x128zavato
What if I told you, Mapman, that I have a pair of Ohm F's in my garage waiting to be refurbished? Vastly different than C2's r the L's, but intruiging none the less
"What if I told you, Mapman, that I have a pair of Ohm F's in my garage waiting to be refurbished? Vastly different than C2's r the L's, but intruiging none the less"

Getting those Walsh drivers on those OHMs refurbished properly is extremely tricky and requires some very specialized skill/knowledge, as I understand it.

There are art least one or two companies/people that I know of reputed to be able to do it, and it may not come cheap.

But those very wide range omni Walsh drivers are most unique and of historical significance in home audio as well. Many would covet a pair in good condition and working order these days, if possible.

Dale Harder is the person I know of who seems to be the most advanced in terms of ability to resurrect the original OHM A or F design these days. Maybe worth talking to him about it.

Audiogoner Mamboni is also very knowledgeable when it comes to DIY Walsh drivers and has blogged on the topic in great detail on other web sites. He helped resurect my interest in the OHM Walsh speaker line a few years back. Might be worth a google search there.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/30689-ohm-acoustics-walsh-f-speaker-remakes-13.html
The Briton II uses a NOS JBL L100 AlNiCo driver and sounds far better than the tired L100 Century. The L100 Century was known for it's "West coast sound" West Cost Sound because the woofer ran without any cross-over full signal and at times a little rough around the edges.

Put this amazing driver with a Horn port and 6 db cross with ultra high ends caps and coils and you have this....

Have a look!!!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2013-rocky-mountain-audio-fest/?page=2
Zav,

Another option is those Fs have trade in value up to $4K or 25% of cost of new speakers with OHM as long as cabinets are in decent shape. My F5s used refurbished OHM F cabinets from OHM.

Shipping cost to OHM in Brooklyn would be the main expense.

You could probably work a very favorable deal to trade in for very minimal cost towards refurbed C2s or Hs, or even a DIF upgrade to the newer OHM Walshes to save shipping, if of interest. An upgrade to F5000 would give you something similar to the F5s I use, but mine are last generation drivers, not current.

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/f/
I've spoken to Dale Harder, and while I think he offers the best solution, it's very costly. Not really interested in a current ohm because they don't use a true Walsh driver. There are options other than Dale Harder, and eventually I'll do it.