Best vintage Tannoy for rock?

I know that Tannoy speakers are not usually associated with rock but I'm mesmerized by the sound of old Tannoy 15 monitors (Super Red, Gold, Classic etc) in big cabinets. The sound is huge and beautiful - you just don't get anything like that from the modern Tannoys. So what's the best vintage Tannoy speaker to rock out with deep bass and tons of punch? I'll be using Manley 250 monos.
antonkk
Kiddman, with all due repect, you would have to hear my Tannoys before you pass judgement. Mine are 12" HPD's, and have been reconed with hard edge surrounds.

The crossovers were designed for me by Dr. Arthur Loesch of Tempo Electric, and consist of 12 gauge Alpha Core ribbon inductors, Mundorf SIO caps, Dueland resistors, and are wired with solid silver hook-up wire.

The enclosures are 150 liter bass-reflex, are nearly 2" thick, and weigh 200lbs. each.

They rock hard when asked to, and are equally as good on any type of classical or jazz you care to run through them.

All this in a room 16' X 34" w/cathedral ceilings, and can play at satisfying levels with a 9 Wpc SET 300B driving them. Newer doesn't mean better, just more expensive.

Regards,
Dan
I don't think we disagree much, Dan, I have used old Tannoys too, and know they can be great. I said "plus some" since the new ones will play louder for a longer period but I did not say that was a huge matter.

Perhaps you interpreted my indicating new Tannoys will crank to mean that older ones won't. I was addressing the OP who indicated the new ones won't do what they old ones do. They will....if you pick the right ones. Westminster Royal SE and Canterburys are two of the right ones.

No disparagement of your older Tannoys....trust that! Few new speakers can do what they do. We could argue that almost no new speakers do what they do!

RIP Arthur, we knew each other pretty well and I liked him very much. You are lucky to have some of his work.
Islandmandan, I was lucky enough to spend to a little time with Arthur Loesch before he passed away and heard his designs at his house, Tempo Electric with Joe and at another friends house who had some modded Tannoys and each was among the best systems I've ever heard.His work is not discussed to much. The Tempo Electric gear is incredible. One day I'd like to own some. I checked out your system and it looks great. I can only imagine how it must sound. The Professor was extraordinary.
Tannoys done right are incredible loudspeakers.
Kiddman, Tonyjack,

Unfortunately, I was never able to meet Dr. Loesch, but was lucky enough to become friends with a man that had grown up with him, and were lifetime friends.

On my behalf, he asked Dr. Arthur for a crossover design for my project Tannoys, which he did, while at a bakyard barbeque at my friends home in Chicago.

I must admit, I have never heard any newer versions of Tannoys, I don't do much traveling, and the nearest dealer is 100 miles away.

In order to have the system that I have, I had to DIY as much as possible, but I am very happy with the results.

I have heard nothing but high praise for the new Tannoys (now that I think about it, I did hear some new Turnberrys at a friends home in Portland). When Kevin Hayes was upgrading my VAC PA 35.35, he mentioned that he uses Tannoys with his products, and that the Kingdom Royals are a must-hear.

Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to hear more Tannoys in the new Prestige line. If my pockets were a bit deeper, some nice Canterbury SE's would probably grace my listening room.

It would be nice if you two fellows were to list your systms here, I would enjoy reading about them.

I am glad to see we are more in agreement than not.

Yours in the love of music and Tannoy, regards,
Dan
Kiddman,

I just reviewed some older threads I participated in, and to my chagrin, I realized I have corresponded with you, and other participants in this thread, before.

My memory is quite suspect, if it had done its job, I wouldn't have seen the need to contribute what I did on this thread.

It is gratifying though, to read such positive comments regarding Tannoys, at times I feel they are the Rodney Dangerfield's of high-end audio.

Best regards to all,
Dan