Nasty problem - ideas?

On two occasions now, during a movie, I've heard a sharp, unpleasant 'snap' through the right channel (or sub, which is on the right?) during dynamic passages. I haven't heard it on 2 channel only, even at high volume. On the one hand, to narrow down the source requires having it happen repeatedly, but it's an ugly sound, and I'd rather not have it keep happening and potentially damaging something, so I thought I'd post here to see if any of you have experienced something similar.
Nothing in the system changes between 2 channel and HT, although the sub is obviously worked harder during HT, and last night I heard it during Olympus Has Fallen when the C130 was going down (for those of you who've seen the movie). Maybe the volume was a little high, the wife thought we were having an earthquake ;)

Anyway, thanks for any input. It's a sharp 'SNAP' that is either a tweeter, or something electrical in the sub amp at first thought.
english210
Pbnaudio - I did that check on the sub, and it did bottom out in travel before it touched anything in the back. I'll do some more checking/investigating....
IME, some of the AV Pre/Pro programs set the LFE level too high. You might check the channel levels in your pre/pro and dial back the LFE (sub) output by around 4-5 dB. That's about how much too high my auto setup sets it.
OK, also worth a look. I must admit, I don't trust the YPAO, but don't have another system for EQ'ing the system/room. I have just adjusted everything to 'flat', and input my measurements to each speaker, and it seems ok. I dialed back the sub volume, and haven't had a recurrence yet....