AV Receiver Underpowered?

I am questioning my AV Receiver as being underpowered.

I have the following Boston Acoustics speakers
PV-1000
VR-MC
VR-MX (2)
VR-MEX
VR-M60 (2)
VR-M50 (2) - Currently setup for zone 2

I have a Denon AV 1908. I used to have a cheap Onkyo that I liked better, but switched to the Denon to get the HDMI inputs awhile ago. I haven't really been happy with the Denon and assume it is underpowered.

I did see there was some complicated math but really just need a stupid simple method for figuring out the right AV Receiver.

Is my Denon Av 1908 underpowered? If so what is the proper Marantz/Denon model to run these?
butrflynlambie
In a situation like yours, the easiest way is to listen. Its not hard to hear if an amp is straining. Reading through your post, it most likely is. Since you already have the Denon, maybe keep it and use it as a preamp. It should have preouts for all of the channels. Instead just get a good multichannel amp like Emotiva, or something similar. You'll get a lot more for your money that way and have a better upgrade path if you ever choose to do so.
I did this same thing just a few days ago...added Emotiva multichannel amp and now use my Marantz as a preamp. VERY noticeable change and wish I would have done this a long time ago.
Unfortunately I don't have the pre-outs with the AVR 1908. I don't think I am able to add to this am I? I was assuming I had to replace, just not sure if I need power or it is the "sound" of denon I am missing. It just has always sounded somewhat muted compared to my old onkyo.

I checked out the Emotiva site and saw they partnered with Sherbourn. They have a Sherbourn PT-7020A on sale. It has the pre-outs so I could "add" an amplifier later.

Anyone have experience with the Sherbourn? Would it be a decent upgrade to what I have or should I look to buy something just being released. (I think it's the 1.3hdmi, not sure what 1.4 brings to the table.)