I know, there is no 'best', but...

..is there any consensus on AV processors in terms of the best?
I have an AVR now, and I know the future holds a processor and seperate amplification for improved sound quality.
On a related note, what is the consensus on room correction programs? Is there a 'best' for that, or a 'diy' procedure that is preferable? The YPAO in my Yamaha consistently tells me incorrectly I have speakers wired out of phase, so if it gets that wrong, how can I know what else it's wrong on?

Good 2 channel is also important, so does that mean a good audio pre-amp is necessary (HT passthrough?), or is there a processor with good 2-channel performance. I know that's relative, so let me clarify a little by saying I'll have a total speaker investment under $20K, built over time, so let's not stray too far into the realm of diminishing returns.
english210
I would go Meridian, I have had mine for years. The only issue I have is they now require you to bring it to a dealer of software updates, I used to be able to upgrade it myself. If you want analog 2 channel you will have to purchase an analog preamp that has a pass through. Meridian converts all analog input to digital then back to analog if the unit is an analog out to your amps.
If you can hold on for about 6 months, the Emotiva XMC-1 promises to be a giant-killer preprocessor for only $1499...

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc1

-RW-