Preamps better than Parasound JC-2 ?

Hello,
I am looking to try out the active preamp route in my system. The TVC has served me very well. But when I want to play my wife's iPod or try to connect a Logitech bluetooth adaptor, there is simply not enough gain in my system.
Since I have a Parasound A-21, I am naturally looking to a JC-2 from Parasound. I was wondering if anyone on this forum as come across a killer (non-tube) preamp that is in the same price range, that can beat the JC-2. If the sound quality of the recommended preamp equals that of JC-2 and the cost is below JC-2, that would be preferred. I am eying the Oppo 105D or the newly released Yamaha CD-S2100 as my future source upgrade. Rest of my system is listed on this site.
I have not visited audio stores in more than 3 years, nor have I been to any trade shows, hence asking for feedback.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
Chayro/Rsf507,
I guess you guys are right. IF I did not experience a "jump" in performance, I would rather trust my ears than the reviews.
I did get couple of emails from several TVC owners who feel that TVCs, in the right system, are very hard to beat - price/performance ratio. $4K was my max and I cannot stretch beyond that.

Tobes,
You are probably right regarding the BP and non-BP. I did check with Parasound and they have asked me for the Serial number of the preamp I am listening to - I don't know why.

Pass and Jeff Rowland - I might give it a try. Thank You for the suggestions.
As an update, I found out from Parasound that the JC-2 BP which I had as a loaner had a faulty board and so had a 8db extra gain. Apparently, it also affects the sound quality.
The dealer will get this corrected and I plan to audition it again in my system after that.
If I were in the market for a non-tube pream, then Pass Labs would be tops on my list.
Reviving this old thread. Since getting the new loudspeakers in place, I want to try an active preamp in my system. The reason for this is the new speaker has great resolution and bass depth and I would like to explore if an active preamp can enhance this experience even further.
There are 3 preamps that I am considering are:1. Jeff Rowland Capri S22. Bryston BP-17-33. Parasound JC-2And that is the order I have been recommended.Based on that recommendation, I started looking for reviews of the S2 and came across a review that really let me down on this preamp:
http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/jeff-rowland-capri-s2-and-12...

The latest Stereophile review of the Bryston is very positive and JC-2 is a well know preamp.
What are you guy's experience when it comes to these 3 preamps? Any other preamps to consider in that price range? Unfortunately this time, I cannot travel for any in-person demo.

I know that in the past people have recommended a Pass (XP-10/12?). But looks like it is out of my price range.
Any particular reason you can't do with tubes?
There are some excellent balanced tube preamps available.