Power and low volume listening - my imagination?

Over very many years in this hobby I've owned quite a few good amplifiers but have never used amplifiers, either tube or solid state, with power ratings greater than 100wpc. This choice was partly based in the assumption that my listening tastes include almost no high volume choices, and, therefore, did not require a lot of power. I think I have been wrong.

Because of some recent changes to my system I decided to try an experiment using more amplification. This included the use of a Peachtree Audio Nova pre amplification out to an old B&K AVR307 with about 70wpc greater than the Nova. The improvement in every way that I'm capable of judging was impressive; the bass is definitely tighter and detail in the upper mid and higher frequencies is also improved, and this is noticeable at all volume settings. I realize that this improvement may be a result of different general sonic characteristic of the two power stages and not due simply to a difference in power ratings.

This experience, though, has me inspired me to pursue a more permanent modification to my system in the form of an appropriate stand alone power amp. Now, the reason for this post and the question I'm posing has to do with power vs character. As with most advice I've asked for on this forum, any responses will be in the form of opinions but I respect them and am looking, if for nothing more, a starting point.

So, is it reasonable to assume that I need more power than what I'm used to in order to keep the improvement that I described? If so, what might be some good choices on the used market for under $1000; I've seen some that are priced right such as Peachtree 220 but am concerned that, although more powerful than the Nova, it may not sound so much different. The combination that I'm currently using as I've described here is quite nice and maybe some would recommend staying with it but, as always, it would be nice to continue down this road for yet more improvement. Anyway, what do you think?

My current system is Shanling S100 CD player, Peachtree Audio Nova, B&K AVR307 and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.
128x128broadstone
Hi Broadstone,

I think your observations have a lot of merit. Think of power in terms of control, capability, depth, instrument delineation, soundstaging...not just raw volume. Crazy as it seems, I liken it to watching an elephant picking up something like a log (effortless, smooth, completely capable)...compare that to 12 guys picking it up (the job gets done, but a bit wobbly, a lot of strain).

When you drive a system with a powerful amp (not just watts...but CURRENT), all else being equal, even at low volumes you oftentimes will hear the difference in effortlessness, bass power/drive, better rhythm because the bass passages have snap, and sometimes better instrument separation/detail.

As for options below $1K, are you up for buying 2nd hand...because there are a lot of good options at that price point. Older small Krell KSA50, Forte 4...not 100 watts...but very high current and known for delivery a lot of high quality power.

I have heard great things about the JOB225 amp...remarkable things from guys who own serious SOTA systems. Not sure about current pricing.

http://www.amazon.com/JOB-225-2-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B008NQVA2A/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

good luck.
Thanks Lloydelee. That makes sense and I made a decision. Coincidentally, I went to use the system this morning and the B&K bit the dust (a subtle hiss and squeal followed by garbled sound), making the decision to do something a bit more pressing. I ordered the Peachtree220 power amp based on some reviews saying that this is a pretty solid pairing with the Nova. I like the idea of Peachtree's dedicated preamp but the Nova provides more latitude for hookups and the front end on this amp seems very good. When get the amp, I'll provide some info on how this worked out because reviews for this combo, otherwise, are pretty sparse.

My system is: Shanling S-100 CD player, Peachtree Audio Nova and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.
Congrats and good luck! Please update us all when everything is back in place with the new equipment. Very exciting!
Ok, I got the Peachtree 220 this morning and have been using it for about 4 hours. The improvement is amazing. There are certain things that I expected to hear such as tighter bass but the sound is better throughout the entire frequency range; vocals are definitely more pleasing.

Because solo guitar is what I listen to most that's where I have been concentrating my comparison listening and where I feel most competent expressing an opinion regarding quality of reproduction. I won't go where I'm not that comfortable with audio terminology but suffice it to say that it is simply better and likely to have been the best single change I've made in years.

Anyway, my question is answered; more power does apparently improve low volume listening. My present system is: Shanling S100 CD player, Peachtree Nova as a preamp, Peachtree 220 power amp and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.
I'm happy that you are better off after the change . So many are not .

The efficiency and design of your speakers has a lot to do with how they sound with different amounts of power .
Using the analogy of the logs ... the difference would be a
log 20" in diameter compared to one 2" in diameter .

Happy Tunes