Audio Research pre-amps?

Hello,

I have an Audio Research LS-3 pre-amp paired with McIntosh MC60 mono-blocks. I use an NAD 546BEE CD player and have Nola Boxer speakers on Skylan stands filled with floor dry. The cables are Kimber Heros and 4PRs...and I just added a REL T7 subwoofer.

Anyhoo...my latest thinking is that the system is a just a touch too bright...not much-just a little.

So my question is: I'd like to stick with an ARC pre-amp. Is there a model I should look for that might be a touch warmer? Maybe a tube version? Nothing too new and under $2000..$2500?

Thanks much,
Aaron
neo-luddite
Post removed 
Well if you are sticking with ARC, then maybe some warmer cables could help. Try some Cardas, Acoustic Zen, or Purist Audio in place of the Kimber. Or maybe a tube buffer stage between the NAD CDP and the ARC preamp. Just a thought.
I have the SP-16 with Red Dragon M-500 Class D amps and I find the sound to be quite neutral. Certainly not bright. The speakers are Vandersteen 3A Sigs. Certain tubes (12AX7) in that preamp can really change it's presentation. The Gold Pin JJ's are my favorite because they tend to be more open. The Genelex are very big with IMHO, too much bass for me.EH, Sovtek are sort of bland. I've not installed the Tung Sol or Svetlana's yet because I'm very happy with the JJ's. Try some tube rolling and see if that helps?
I had an LS-3 for years, before upgrading to the LS-26. Same basic ARC sound signature but sweeter, more liquid in the mids and on top. Also more 3-D. I don't find ARC lacking in bass, either.