Equalizers-Using to compensate for hearing loss

Several months ago I was active on several forums regarding age related hearing loss and the use of hearing aids. Because it's common for listeners to start having some deficiencies as they get older and because I've had experience dealing with this issue, I thought that I could offer some useful advice. After I was fitted with good quality hearing aids i got back much of the upper mid to high frequency detail that I very much missed but there was still something missing as regards what I'll call continuity(?).

To compensate for the tapering off of hearing acuity which for me begins in the area of 5000Hz and totally drops off at about 7700Hz, I'm considering the addition of an equalizer in the system. My thinking is that, because hearing aids are little more than sophisticated equalizers, I could accomplish the same improvement without having to wear them.

This brings me to my request for your advice; first of all, I would like to know if I'm missing something or if there's a flaw in my logic. Secondly, if it appears that an equalizer might be the answer, which type and manufacturer is recommended. The little research I've done leads me to believe that the addition of an equalizer will have a negative overall affect on sound quality and that the best ones are quite expensive. With this in mind, I would like to try something that won't break my bank to, at least, do a trial before I commit to a higher quality component.

BTW, my present system consists of, among other things, the hybrid 100W Rogue Audio Sphinx, Shanling solid state CD player and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.
128x128broadstone
I am puzzled that what you are trying to achieve cannot be done by your hearing aids themselves. Most high quality aids are programmable to a specific response curve that can be exactly matched to your hearing loss. Also, most high quality aids do not roll off at 7700HZ. I suggest you first go back to your audiologist and seek a solution via your aids. If you don't have one, look for an audiologist that has a large number of clients that are professional musicians. I have tired various equalizers in my rig, none have worked well to the point they sound better with using my aids. Not mentioned in various responses about equalizers is the Technics 9010, a work horse of the pro sound field.
Broadstone,
I expect your issue will be more and more common as most of us older audiophiles need to address our inevitable hearing loss.
I'm not sure if an equalizer will properly compensate for your hearing issues. However, I use the AudioControl C-101 equalizer in my second system in a very difficult room. It works wonderfully to balance frequencies. I much rather have it in the audio chain than out. It looks like it's available on eBay for a few hundred dollars and can be connected simply with RCAs. And it's a consumer product, not a pro product - easy to install between your preamp and speakers.
Much cheaper than most hearing aids! So it may be a relatively "easy" alternative in which to experiment.
All the best,
Dave
Buconero, I think the op wants to listen without the aids. I can imagine aids acting as a major barrier to hearing the actual sound of the rig.
Thanks very much to all of you. I'm more comfortable now with the idea of at least trying the equalizer approach, and will. Peppermill, your response was what mine would have been before I bought mine and it makes a great deal of sense. Yes, with properly adjusted quality hearing aids one would think that hearing should approximate hearing normalcy of one's younger years and there's no doubt that, when wearing them I'm hearing upper frequency detail that I had lost.

I've been involved in this hobby for over 50 yrs and, except for speakers, I've never spent $5000+ on any single component, which is what these hearing aids set me back. The only time I wear them, though, is when I'm actively listening to music. Therein may be part of my problem; I've not worn them enough for my hearing to adjust. Besides, if I wear them for more than 1/2 hour, itching in my ear canals becomes uncomfortable and distracting. I've worked with 2 audiologists on this issue.

Anyway, using my hearing aids may well be the better choice and could end up being my ultimate choice but, whichever way I go, I appreciate the helpful advice I've gotten here.
Noromance, like Broadstone, I have been into audio for over fifty years, hearing aids for a like amount of time. I have learned a lot in that time. The progress in the hearing aid field has been unbelievable, especially in work that Mead Killion has done in perfecting hi end hearing aids. Killion gave us the ER line of ear buds.

In my view, the right aids should not be a barrier to hearing the actual sound of the rig. Remember, we all search for the components that produce the best sound to our ears, that is why we all have very different rigs. That quest is needed in searching for hearing aids. The hearing aids of General Hearing are an example of high end products at reasonable prices. My pair cost $3K. The have two different microphones, one especially dedicated to the music program, they also have Killion's DigitK amps. Best to go to General Hearing's web site and learn more about what hi end hearing aids are all about. The search continues.