The future of preamps

I still use one, but I wonder if their days are numbered. To those who have removed the preamp from their system, have there been any regrets? Anyone gone back to using a preamp after having removed it?
psag
Will do, Charles and Iso. I'm very interested in hearing what OB speakers sound like at home; I heard a pair of GRs at RMAF in 2011 and was very impressed w how dynamic and coherent they were, so I'm excited to give these a whirl. The amps that are on the way are the older parallel SE 300bs. Unfortunately, I cannot afford new Franks and they have not yet appeared on the used market.
Swampwalker,
Arthur Savatore and others have said that the older Coincident Parallel SET 300b were excellent sounding. My guess is that paired with a Feastrex field coil OB speaker this could be quite a match.
Charles,
@ Charles1dad, Thankyou for your reply, I will take my time with the quest for a preamp, Hey, The only way to know what really sounds good these days is ask, I hope I did not frustrate nobody here, I do not trust pro reviews no more!, I find user word of mouth to give me the interest in a product, I understand there is different tast out there in what is good or not, and understand system dependency,instead of years of heart ache of tring this and that, I trust the audiogon community to give me a narrowed down foundation to start the quest, My system will take a long time to build, I started 4-2012, going on my 4th source as it is, It seems nothing is as it was made out to be after relying on pro reviews!, I am the type of audiophile that once I get this system done, and I'm satiesfied, I want to ride off into the sunset this time!, I care less whats better tomorrow, To me, A very good sound will never be absolete!
Salvatore has been very tight with Blume for years. Many would say beyond tight.
His reviews of Coincident products must be taken with that understanding.
IMO