Who makes

Who makes solid state amplifiers based on the "Power Paradigm", not "Voltage Paradigm".

How do you know if a cone speaker is designed to work better under the "Power Paradigm" better than "Voltage Paradigm"?
cdc
The best amp is the one that matches best to the best speakers.

In the end, that's really all that matters, no matter how it is accomplished in any particular case.

Figuring out what will work best with what is the tricky part. The rest is largely subjective.

I've heard all shapes and sizes sound equally excellent, though probably never exactly the same. Pretty close though. The key was always someone who knew how to put the right pieces together and make it all work. That and good (but rarely ever close to perfect) source material to work with.

Only tube amps will ever have that really cool looking retro glow going on to boot though.
Cdc, FWIW, the example you cited of the Zamp cannot be correct at least not into any known speaker load.

The power formula is P= Voltage X Current

When related to Ohm's Law the power formula can all be shown be P=Current squared x Resistance

The lower the impedance of the speaker, the more current will be present for a given amount of power. So if we have a one ohm load, to do 45 watts the current will be the square root of 45, or 6.07 amps.

Usually that high current spec is the amount of current that will be present when the power supply of the amplifier is shorted out for 10 milliseconds. FWIW, we make tube amps with greater amounts of current by *that* measure...

Also, it usually is easier to build a transistor amp than it is a tube amp. Traditionally tube power is more expensive than solid state.
So if we have a one ohm load, to do 45 watts the current will be the square root of 45, or 6.07 amps.
Thanks Atmasphere. I think you are talking about speaker impedance and how it requires a certain amount of power to drive it? But what about musical dynamic peaks? That's what I'm, mistakenly(?) trying to get at. If you play a song at 90 dB with 110dB musical peaks like rim shots, don't you need the current to give that dynamic range for the 10 milliseconds?
the power supply of the amplifier is shorted out for 10 milliseconds. FWIW, we make tube amps with greater amounts of current by *that* measure...
So tube amps have more current on tap than ss?
If you play a song at 90 dB with 110dB musical peaks like rim shots, don't you need the current to give that dynamic range for the 10 milliseconds?
yes, you do. this sudden burst of current comes from the power supply capacitors. like you wrote, the rim shots (your example) are extremely quick & fleeting events. By the time the bridge rectifier reacts to this quick event, the event itself has passed. The power supply itself cannot react fast enough to quick events & that is by design - it's supposed to be a DC power supply that remains steady no matter what (given the amp is being driven within its limits). SO, it's the capacitor bank of the power supply that reacts to these quick events. That's why many amp manuf boast about how much power supply cap they have + you'll find many other amp manuf to have bypass caps in parallel w/ the power supply main cap. These bypass caps are much smaller (10,000uF) with very low ESR such that they can react very quickly to rim shot events.
So tube amps have more current on tap than ss?
Not as a general rule; more often than not the opposite would be true. It goes without saying that generalizations are not likely to be meaningful if drawn based on a comparison between a $349 amplifier and amplifiers that are in a VASTLY different league in terms of performance, quality, and price.
... what about musical dynamic peaks? That's what I'm, mistakenly(?) trying to get at. If you play a song at 90 dB with 110dB musical peaks like rim shots, don't you need the current to give that dynamic range for the 10 milliseconds?
Good response by Bombaywalla, of course, to which I'll add some further specifics.

I took a look at the specs of the Zamp, and it appears that what Ralph (Atmasphere) surmised about the 12 amp current spec is correct -- it most likely represents how much current the amplifier can supply into a short circuit (zero ohms) for a miniscule amount of time. Also, I would infer that the reference to 12 amps "peak" probably means "peak" not only in the sense of maximum, but also in the sense of being distinguished from RMS, which is the form in which the voltages and currents corresponding to maximum continuous power ratings are defined. For the sinusoidal waveforms upon which these numbers are based, RMS current equals peak current divided by the square root of 2, so on an RMS basis the maximum current rating is only about 8.5 amps.

In any event, what is important to realize is that the specified peak current is unlikely to ever be available to a real world speaker load, because for a reasonable load impedance the amplifier will not be able to supply the voltage corresponding to that current times that impedance, and it will not be able to supply the power corresponding to that current squared times that impedance.

What I think you are really asking about in this question is what is referred to as dynamic headroom, meaning the ability of the amplifier to deliver greater amounts of power to a speaker for brief amounts of time than its specified continuous maximum rating.

Dynamic headroom is often unspecified, and when it is specified there is often no indication of the amount of time the power increase can be sustained for, so comparing that spec for different amplifiers is usually not very meaningful. Also, having more dynamic headroom is not necessarily a positive attribute. It can be looked at in two ways: The amplifier is ABLE to deliver more power for a short time than it can deliver continuously, or it is UNABLE to continuously deliver an amount of power that is close to what it can deliver for a short period of time. Some of the world's best amplifiers have essentially zero dynamic headroom.

My impression is that typical dynamic headroom numbers range from zero to a few db, and rarely if ever exceed or even reach perhaps 6 db. 6 db corresponds to a four-fold increase in power, and would raise the sound pressure level heard by the listener by no more than 6 db, and perhaps somewhat less due to "thermal compression" in the speaker.

A number that generally says more about the robustness of a solid state (but not tube) amplifier than all of the foregoing is how closely its 4 ohm continuous power rating approaches being double its 8 ohm rating. The two ratings for the Zamp are 45 and 60 watts, which may be a better ratio than most other amplifiers in its price class have (many of which do not even have a 4 ohm rating), but does not approach the factor of 2 that many multi-kilobuck solid state amplifiers can achieve.

Regards,
-- Al